Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
The PA GAME COMMISSION >

The PA GAME COMMISSION

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The PA GAME COMMISSION

Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The PA GAME COMMISSION

Finally stepped up to the plate and hit a HR!. You can now shoot a Buck in the early Archery season in WMA 2b,5c and 5D. I hated this early season. It put the Bucks on alert for 2 weeks before you could hunt them. I still wish they would just KNOCKOUT the early season and go back to the Statewide open date.

HJ
Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

So, you would rather have less time for people to hunt deer in PA? I think you would have a lot of opposition.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

How is the current setup done in PA
Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

PA used to have a short archery season, either sex. Then a 2 week buck season and a three day doe season, then a short archery season and flintlock season for two weeks after Christmas. It then evolved into this:

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Sept. 19- Nov. 28 and Dec. 26-Jan. 23, 2016. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license. One antlered deer per hunting license year.

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Oct. 3-Nov. 14 and Dec. 26-Jan. 9. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5A, 5B, 5C and 5D: Nov. 30-Dec. 12. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered Only) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E: Nov. 30-Dec. 4. One antlered deer per hunting license year. (Holders of valid DMAP antlerless deer permits may harvest antlerless deer on DMAP properties during this period.)

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E: Dec. 5-12. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide): Oct. 22-24. Junior and Senior License Holders, Mentored Youth Permit Holders, Disabled Person Permit (to use a vehicle) Holders, and Pennsylvania residents serving on active duty in U.S. Armed Services or in the U.S. Coast Guard only, with required antlerless license. Also included are persons who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application for a license and hold a valid adult license, or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 17-24. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 9. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 23. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS EXTENDED REGULAR FIREARMS: (Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties): Dec. 26-Jan. 23. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Military Bases): Hunting permitted on days established by the U.S. Department of the Army at Letterkenny Army Depot, Franklin County; New Cumberland Army Depot, York County; and Fort Detrick, Raven Rock Site, Adams County. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

As everywhere, some people are happy and some are not. PA now has more time to hunt deer than any time in its history. The big buck crowd and the archers are the most upset because they want the erly part of the season for themselves.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
So, you would rather have less time for people to hunt deer in PA? I think you would have a lot of opposition.
I think your wrong. Most of the Hunters I know and talk to hate the early season DOWN here in 5C and 5D.

HJ
Old 06-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA used to have a short archery season, either sex. Then a 2 week buck season and a three day doe season, then a short archery season and flintlock season for two weeks after Christmas. It then evolved into this:

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Sept. 19- Nov. 28 and Dec. 26-Jan. 23, 2016. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license. One antlered deer per hunting license year.

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Oct. 3-Nov. 14 and Dec. 26-Jan. 9. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5A, 5B, 5C and 5D: Nov. 30-Dec. 12. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered Only) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E: Nov. 30-Dec. 4. One antlered deer per hunting license year. (Holders of valid DMAP antlerless deer permits may harvest antlerless deer on DMAP properties during this period.)

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E: Dec. 5-12. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide): Oct. 22-24. Junior and Senior License Holders, Mentored Youth Permit Holders, Disabled Person Permit (to use a vehicle) Holders, and Pennsylvania residents serving on active duty in U.S. Armed Services or in the U.S. Coast Guard only, with required antlerless license. Also included are persons who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application for a license and hold a valid adult license, or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 17-24. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 9. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 23. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS EXTENDED REGULAR FIREARMS: (Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties): Dec. 26-Jan. 23. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Military Bases): Hunting permitted on days established by the U.S. Department of the Army at Letterkenny Army Depot, Franklin County; New Cumberland Army Depot, York County; and Fort Detrick, Raven Rock Site, Adams County. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

As everywhere, some people are happy and some are not. PA now has more time to hunt deer than any time in its history. The big buck crowd and the archers are the most upset because they want the erly part of the season for themselves.
? When and what year did the the Gun hunters/Little Buck Hunters hunt Deer before the Greedy early BIG BUCK I want the early season all to myself Archers? In the 46 years that I been hunting PA I can't think Gun season was ever before Archery Season. If Bowhunters have time to hunt deer more than any time in history why is the Big Buck Crowd upset? For the record I am very happy with the Deerhunting in PA and I gun/Archery hunt in Special Regs 5c ,5d and the Big Wood's of NE PA. I think we all know why it has evolved into what it is today, and its not because of the Early/BIG BUCK CROWD. Where have you gone DR Gary Alt??????? LOL!!!!!

HJ

Last edited by hatchet jack; 06-15-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

When? Before there was a specific archery season. The first archery season was in 1951. The horn hunters don't like the archers having first crack at the buck and the archers want to keep pushing the season earlier and longer. I have been around a long time as well and I knew the guy who was responsble for having an archery only season, an ex olympic archer from Lancaster Co. and I watched what is happening. Too bad Ed Wentzler is not still speaking for the UBP.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-15-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

When? Before there was a specific archery season. The horn hunters don't like the archers having first crack at the buck and the archers want to keep pushing the season earlier and longer. I have been around a long time as well and I knew the guy who was responsble for having an archery only season, an ex olympic archer from Lancaster Co. and I watched what is happening. Too bad Ed Wentzler is not still speaking for the UBP.
What year was that? A LOOOOOONG time ago. If you look at most states their Archery seasons are still way longer than PA. I hunt NJ and you can Bow hunt Deer from Sept til the end of Feb. Someone has to get first crack at the Deer. What do you think would happen if the Gun Hunters got the first crack at the Deer in early Sept/Oct? Yes Ed Wentzler was a great leader for the UBP. The UBP is a shell of what it once was. Thats for sure!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

My post has the when, 1951, the first archery only season. A man named Clayton Shenk who was an Olympic archer and an active oficer in the Lancaster federation for years, lobbied the legislature for a long time to have a season just for archers. Since that 1st season in 1951, the legnth of the archery season has increased. One year the Motor City whack job Ted Ngent,came to a PA Game Commission to lobby the board for a longer archery season so they could hunt the rut, that was 1993 when the season was extended for 2 weeks. If gun hunters got 1st crack at the buck, as you ask, the archers would complain, the same as the gun hunters do now. Everyone wants to be first.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-16-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, will take me a few weeks to figure out the PA season breakdown you just posted OT, LOL.

Guess the question would be, are the deer over harvested under harvested or just right? What have the biologist saying about the deer populations. If these areas are under harvested then it would make sense to extend the season by some method. Whether that would be opening a firearm season a few days earlier or opening archery a few days earlier. Either way this has a motto, a thousand ways to skin a cat attached to it. Now if each area your talking about is over harvested then lets face reality and say the seasons need to be cut to protect the deer numbers. If cuts are not done in time you will easily get into a position that even more drastic cuts will be required further down the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.