Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Responding to calls in PA? >

Responding to calls in PA?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Responding to calls in PA?

Old 10-11-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Responding to calls in PA?

Hey guys.
Has anyone had any luck with getting bucks to respond to any calls here in PA yet?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Responding to calls in PA?

Not for me yet but I would bet that it would be a little difficult for them to hear me down the shore in NJ. Kidding but not in Nj yet or atleast for me.

But should be soon real soon.

Brian
Old 10-12-2003, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never had much luck in Pa. I have noticed the deer out west in Iowa and down in Texas are much more aggressive and respond to calls and rattling. I have tried it while scouting and they usually dont hang around. I have tried the normal social calls at doe and they just dont seem to care.They look around and either run or go back to eating.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:48 AM

Ive had some success with calling not this year yet though, but it wont be long till the grunt should be working. Ive rattled deer in, in the past, but it does work. Ive also used a grunt call and sent them high tailing to the next bush[:@] Good luck!
Old 10-13-2003, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rattled in a 6-point once and I grunted in an 8-pointer last year. The 6 point appeared all of a sudden and I had the rifle on my lap and the horns in my hand. He was looking right at me and I couldn' t move. Fortunately I was in a treestand when I grunted the 8-point in and he didn' t see me.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I tried that ' lil can' doe bleap and it didn' t seem to do much. I had a doe about 60 yards away from me and she didn' t seem one bit interested.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tried it again yesterday.I had 14 doe in a field .They were 85 yards away.It was only 5 minutes of legal shooting time left. So Just to see what happens I gave a soft social call. All Heck broke loose.It caused a stampede and they run for the hills.I dont understand????
Old 10-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a doe respond to a soft grunt on Friday evening. That' s about the most luck I' ve ever had.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It' s kind of early for calling now. The deer that are spooked probably know it' s out of place and that' s why they are feeling uneasy about it. It' s like trying to catch brook trout with squid. Try grunting, rattling or the doe bleats in a month and see what happens.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-14-2003, 12:06 PM

I keep trying but I can' t say for sure that I have ever had a buck interested in a grunt or bleat. ONce night spotting I started mewing with a cow elk call and brought a doe in from 100 to within 30 yards of my running vehicle, so they must work a little. Might just have to try the elk call this year on the stand.

Quick Reply: Responding to calls in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.