Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa flintlockers ?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pa flintlockers ?

i figured I'd ask pa hunters because they are most likely the experts on the subject...

I'm new to flintlock muzzloaders and was looking for info...

I'd like to get a desent flintlock and was wondering if you guys could recommend one...

I'm thinking about the Lyman's Great Plains rifle in 54 cal... I'm thinkingatch and ball also...

Any info is appreciated...
Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lymans or TC Hawkens.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Longbeard - you can do a lot worse than the Lyman Great Plains .54 cal flintlock. They are a good rifle and the .54 is plenty for whitetail with the PRB.
The Deerstalker is also a good choice for the short ranges you have here in PA. But my preference in production flinters goes to the T/C Hawken or Renegade. You can still find them around on the used gun racks. And if you can find a Green Mountain drop in barrel for it you will have a great rifle.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

IMHO,The GPR is a very nice looking gun and can shoot well. I have one and a Deer Stalker.
The GPR is kind of long and bulky to carry around in our Pa. woods? My Deer Stalker will shoot just as well as the GPR at the ranges we have to shoot in our woods!
Also,the Deer Stalker is about $125 less than a GPR.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Spike

Got a GPR in 54 cal prb and its great to shoot.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

FWIW-

I wouldn't want to lug my GPR around afield, day after day!

I was checking out the Traditions PA Pellet Accelerator a few weeks back; while it isn't strictly old school, I think there's a lot to be said for it as a hunting rifle.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

You may also want to check out the ML's at RMC http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail...le/11752/11755
Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive
FWIW-

I wouldn't want to lug my GPR around afield, day after day!

I was checking out the Traditions PA Pellet Accelerator a few weeks back; while it isn't strictly old school, I think there's a lot to be said for it as a hunting rifle.
I will second that. I have a PA Pellet (but pre accelerator). I do not use pellets though. With the breechplug design they are great for dependability and easy to clean. Nice sporting length and weight. My brother has the accelerator model. Very nice for hunting.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm 61 years old and I have no trouble carrying a GRR around all day. I either tote that or my T/C Renegade. Now I'm not a marathon runner and don't even consider myself in great shape. But my friend and I normally sit for the first hour or two after daylight then take turns doing small pushes for each other. And we do this in extremely thick cover. Yeah the longer barrel does hang up occasionally. But its not a big deal and the extra weight does come in handy when steading it for a shot. I had a Deerstalker but only used it for a year and sold it. I just didn't care for the single trigger. And the difference in carrying was minimal.