Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ny Opener

Old 11-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone else with any success? I past a couple small bucks this season but no shots at all on a mature Buck
Old 11-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Spike

Because of work and personal stuff I wasn't able to drive up to my property in Chenango County until the morning of the opener. I arrived around noon in a snow squall which allowed me to move up to my stand without making any noise. Almost worked too well as I surprised a spike while preparing to climb into my stand. I clean missed a 20 yard snap shot which did little to scare the buck because when I went to check where he was standing; I looked up and he was about 80 yards away. He just turned and trotted away not really bothered at all.

I decided to stay in my stand just to see what would happen. About 3:30 I spotted a real nice buck in thick brush along a creek. The only time he came into the open was on my neighbors property so I couldn't take a shot. With about 30 minutes of day light I caught a nice buck trailing a doe heading up the hill past my stand. Found a clear spot and dropped him trotting at about 120 yards (after missing a 20 standing shot; go figure). Not the biggest 8 point in the woods but dressed out at about 160. Getting too old to drag big deer like that out of the woods alone .
Old 11-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap
Anyone else with any success? I past a couple small bucks this season but no shots at all on a mature Buck
Saw a couple nice bucks, but couldn't get shots on them. Settled for a spiker, let does walk even though I had a DMP tag.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tankerchief
Because of work and personal stuff I wasn't able to drive up to my property in Chenango County until the morning of the opener. I arrived around noon in a snow squall which allowed me to move up to my stand without making any noise. Almost worked too well as I surprised a spike while preparing to climb into my stand. I clean missed a 20 yard snap shot which did little to scare the buck because when I went to check where he was standing; I looked up and he was about 80 yards away. He just turned and trotted away not really bothered at all.

I decided to stay in my stand just to see what would happen. About 3:30 I spotted a real nice buck in thick brush along a creek. The only time he came into the open was on my neighbors property so I couldn't take a shot. With about 30 minutes of day light I caught a nice buck trailing a doe heading up the hill past my stand. Found a clear spot and dropped him trotting at about 120 yards (after missing a 20 standing shot; go figure). Not the biggest 8 point in the woods but dressed out at about 160. Getting too old to drag big deer like that out of the woods alone .
Way to go any pics?
Old 11-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

any body hunt in unit 8n in italy new york i have a friend that has land there and plan on hunting there a couple day's as i have a doe tag there he said it sounded like a war zone on opening morning then he went up this past weekend and seen natta i'm going up for muzzleloader can't wait to get back home to do some hunting and of course see my mom !!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted 8T and, I must say, it was terrible. I crossbow hunted a week before gun started and only saw one small 4 pt. Gun was does only... never saw an antler. Worst opening I can remember in a long time. Very few shots heard even tho opening morning weather was great.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap
Way to go any pics?
I have a pic but don't have an account with anything like Photo bucket so can't post it. Will post if I can find a way.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
I hunted 8T and, I must say, it was terrible. I crossbow hunted a week before gun started and only saw one small 4 pt. Gun was does only... never saw an antler. Worst opening I can remember in a long time. Very few shots heard even tho opening morning weather was great.
Had the same season as you, I don't know why they were so nocturnal this year
Old 12-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Spike

3seasons,

No no, not at all was anything directed toward you. I should have been a bit more detailed when I replied. I was saying I understand people taking spikes, i'm not against it, and I understand its not a guarantee to see a mature buck every season, but as far as the "if its brown, its down" way of life, I think that should be outgrown at some point by people who live that way of life in the woods.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Spike

Bocajnala, thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.