Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 reporting a poacher? >

reporting a poacher?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

reporting a poacher?

Old 10-07-2003, 10:19 AM

Default reporting a poacher?

Guys -

I' d appreciate your advice on this one. I know a guy who brags about all the deer he shoots, the problem being that 1) he shoots at night 2) with a laser sighted crossbow during any season and 3) beyond his legal bag limits (all bucks). Now, I know that he should be reported, but since I can' t call and say " hey I see this guy doing this right now" , will they authorities do anything?

THanks!

Old 10-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: reporting a poacher?

They may or may not but your not doing yourself, us or hunting in general any favors if you don' t at least make the phone call and ask. You might be the link they' ve been after to nab this guy. Perhaps they' ve been investigating the incidents all along and all they need is a name and they' ll do the rest or perhaps they will thank you for the phone call and apologize that they don' t have enough to go on but at least you did the right thing and made the phone call.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:16 PM

I say report him maybe you will even get a small reward. PA awards $100 reward and an additional $100 on those convicted of illegally killing multiple big game animals or threatened and endangered species. - A $100 also goes to support the " Turn In a Poacher" program

WCO officer in press realease says it best:
" If more folks would be willing to stand up against guys like this, we' d see a lot more nice bucks making it through the fall, still being around for the deer season. With 440 square miles to patrol, we need more eyes and ears out there to help us."

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/press/2002/nr005-02.htm
Old 10-07-2003, 02:29 PM

yes you need to call and give as much info as you have .i had a guy in my area bragging about all the bucks he was killing ,he had bragged about as many as 10 by the end of extended bow and all small bucks ,i was hot to say the least as me ansd my buddys where passing on small bucks for a few years and just werent seeing that many bucks around ,i found out later that bthey state was working a case against him in another area and it helped to add a few more charges ,no i dont see him on the side of the road any more ,so hopefully we will start to see more bucks .but we have to police our selves and rid the sport of the scum ,he is not a hunter but a game theif .
Old 10-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

In this case, a video camera would be your best friend if you wanna get this guy for sure.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:07 PM

MAN I WOULD DROP A DIME ON HIM IN A HEARTBEAT
CALL THE D E C OR IN PA WCO ENFORCEMENT GIVE THEM A LOCATION OR A PLATE NO#ALONG WITH SOME DETAILS I AM SURE THEY WILL DO THE REST
Old 10-09-2003, 11:38 AM

Made the call today. They said they' d look into it. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:07 PM

THAT THE WAY TO GRIZZZ
Old 10-15-2003, 09:04 AM

My son' s best friend is a Connecticut warden.. If your wardens are anything like him, they' ll take the information and they' ll break their butts to get the guy.. The game wardens best weapon is the responsible sportsman that will give him the tip he needs to catch these crooks. If we all sit around and complain about the poachers and unethical sportman but don' t help our law enforcement catch them by giving them information, then we too are part of the problem!!!
The tip lines are great but I suggest if you are really serious about getting involved, try to develop a working relationship with your district or local warden. Wardens take a lot of underserved flack from some so called sportsman. Like the ones who forget to buy a license, or trespass, or accidently have more fish or game they they are supposed to. Like most members of Law enforcement, Wardens are often guarded at first when people try to be friendly with them. They have to maintain a level of professionalism that allows them to effecively do their job. Once they get to know you and they recognize you as an ethical sportsman, they lighten up. Good luck