Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Boots & cold feet >

Boots & cold feet

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Boots & cold feet

Old 10-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Boots & cold feet

I' m looking for new rubber boots. I' m not totally sold that thinsulate will keep my feet warm hunting for 6+ hours in 20 degree weather. What' s you opinion? Do you use a heavy duty felt liner or thinsulate to keep your feet warm? Any other tricks, my feet are always the first to get cold. I' ve even tried those foot warmers with limited sucess.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:03 AM

Default RE: Boots & cold feet

An old timer told me once to spray your feet with anti-perspirant the reason your feet get cold is cause the sweat. He told me that will keep them from sweating.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use sock liners underneath my heavy wool socks. Essentially, they are really thin nylon socks, thicker than women' s pantyhose [].

The way these work: The tight nylon sock will wick away the sweat, into the wool blend sock, away from your feet. This creates a small barrier between your foot and a sweaty sock and is much better than just sticking your feet in the wool sock.

Since I' ve been using this method, I find that my feet stay warmer twice as long.

My boots come with Thinsulate liners in them also. I have however used the felt lined boots and find that they work well too.

The absoulte key to keep your feet warm..... Keep them dry and sweat free. If its a cold morning, take a bit extra time to get to your stand. You sweat, you get cold. It' s as simple as that.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:27 AM

nybowhunter Looking for a boot that will keep your feet warm in cold weather and I mean cold military MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS
I have a set of these boots the only place I seen them for sale at a good price are from the sportmans guide think they go for $49.00 bucks
Old 10-07-2003, 06:26 AM

Anti-perspirant does work. As funny as it sounds - I take a roll-on and swipe the bottom of my feet. Doesn' t completely stop your feet from sweating but does make a difference.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:21 AM

PAHUNTER21 has got it nailed. Use a synthetic sock as a liner, then one or two pair of wool socks. Spend a few bucks and read the lable to see what the blend is. Make sure they are at least 80% wool. And remember, COTTON KILLS. Don' t use a pair of your old cotton gym socks as your liner.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:13 PM

Actually I think lonewolf has it nailed. I hunt if Ohio with my uncle even though I live in PA. They all wear Mickey Mouse boots. Mickey mouse boots are actually used by soldiers in Antarctica. Sweating does not make your feet cold if you move the whole time by putting on drives. We have gotten back to camp before and the sweat was just dripping off their feet. They said they were as warm as toast.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:17 PM

I use the thin moisture wicking socks as well, and they work great. Thick wool socks go on over these.

One important thing to remember when buying boots is that they need to fit snugly but NOT tight. Take the socks you intend to use for hunting with you when you try them on. If they are too tight, they will restrict bloodflow and your feet will get cold.

Thinsulate does work well, and some boots come with 1,000 grams or more these days. If you have problems with cold feet, you may want something with 1,000 grams or more. I have used boots with 600 grams while hunting all day in subzero weather and my feet got only slightly cold. I added an insole that holds the " hothands" footwarmers and that worked well until the hot pack runs out then you need to replace it. If I were to sit in one spot all day, I' d want something with more thinsulate than 600 grams.

My warmest boots were Lacrosse Ice Kings, rated for -100F. They had extremely thick liners - I forget what the insulating material was called but it wasn' t felt. My feet never got cold in those, but they were heavy and awkward to walk in.

I personally like Rocky boots. You may want to look over their selection if you haven' t yet. Also many people swear by Lacrosse for a cold weather rubber boot.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:26 PM

plinker772000 A QUICK STORY WITH THE MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS WAS HUNTING IN PA LATE DOE SEASON DEC. 15 OR WHATEVER THE DATE BUT IN DEC. MAN IT WAS COLD OUT SNOW ON THE GROUND WELL HAD TO CROSS A SMALL STREAM BUT SOMEHOW I CROSS WERE IT WAS TO DEEP COVERED WITH SNOW .I TOOK THE WRONG STEP QUESS WHAT THE BOOT WENT UNDER WATER SO NOW DO I GO BACK TO THE HOUSE OR WHAT.? NOW I EMPTY THE WATER OUT OF THE BOOT SOCKS WERE WET, RING THEM OUT PUT THEM BACK ON MADE IT ACROSS THE STREAM POSTED 2 HOURS SHOT THE DOE FEET WERE STILL WARM NEVER GOT COLD THE ONLY PROBLEM THEY ARE A LITTLE HEAVY WHEN IT COME TO WALKING OTHERWISE WITH ONE PAIR OF SOCKS THAT ALL YOU NEED.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, MickeyMouse boots work well also, but for me, walking in them is a pain.

BTW, I tried the anti-perspirent idea this morning, 29 degrees here in Western PA. Worked like a charm! Guess what I' ll be doing from now on when it gets cold!

Quick Reply: Boots & cold feet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.