Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sunday hunting?

Old 10-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sunday hunting?

Does anyone every remember if hunting was allowed on Sundays? I was just thinking that Sunday hunting for bowhunters should be legal. Heck, you' re allowed to fish, why not hunt. I understand it not being okay during gun season due to the noise but I don' t think a bow would ruin anyone' s Sunday events. I figure that the majority of bowhunters work during the week plus if you have a family that makes it even more dificult to find time during the weekdays. Also, the price for licenses keeps going up; in PA, it' s a little over 40 dollars if you get a doe tag. There' s really not alot of time as well to bow hunt before every other yahoo gets in the field.

I' m just venting, but if anyone else agrees or for that matter disagrees with me, feel free to comment.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sunday hunting?

i dont know about your state, but in NY you can hunt on sunday, gun or bow. I think that the Sunday Law should be abolished because it still represents a government where church has influence..well maybe not really, but It did. I Suppose it depends on the state, but I still think everyone should be allowed to hunt on Sunday...

BTW, in NY to Get a Super-Sportsman Liscense (Bow, Muzzleloader, Rifle [1 tag], fishing, and small game), its $68. that' s a total of 3 Deer Licenses. one buck, one antlerless, and one either sex. the buck is Rifle only, and the other two are Muzz/Bow. It' s free to apply for a Deer Managment Permit. and you have a choice of 2 WMU' s. so that' s a total of up to 5 Deer tags for $68...plus fishing and small game...I think its a good deal, dont you?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Joe D -

Are you asking this question because the weather on Saturday was crappy and Sunday was a beautiful day? As we were driving home from Sullivan County yesterday I was thinking " it sure would be a nice day to go hunting" .
Remember, you can hunt foxes crows and coyotes on Sundays with a gun. It' s not the noise. According to a couple of game wardens I asked, it has to do with land owners. A lot of land that is open to hunting is privately owned. These people allow hunters but they don' t have to. The game commission is giving them a break from people being on their land on Sundays. They feel that, if they allowed Sunday hunting, a lot of these land owners may post their land. As for crows - PA wanted them to be hunted all year but they are considered migratory. Since they are migratory, they can only be hunted so many days a year. The game commission figured out that 3 days a week would work out and they chose weekend days so more people could participate. I think coyotes are considered pest so you can hunt them all the time. As for foxes, I' m not sure about that one.

At least that' s the story I heard.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

you said it! down with the system. HUNTING ON SUNDAY IS THE LEAST THEY COULD DO IN EXCHANGE FOR ALL THE MONEY THEY GET!
Old 10-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

there is absolutely no good reason that anyone could give me for not allowing people to hunt on sundays. i don' t buy this give the landowners a break deal. break, from what? most of the people that i know, unless they take a vacation, have to work all week long, and don' t have the time to go out after work. and the, they want to cut the time that i have left to hunt in half? give me a break, that' s just plain crazy. and yes, we are allowed to hunt on sundays in vermont. so i wonder, in states that don' t allow sunday hunting, let' s say i run coonhounds, does that mean i have to call off the dogs at midnight?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if anyone has ever lobbied to change this. There are a lot of hunters who don' t want it either. I think most of them are stuck in their ways and just don' t want change. I would like the chance to hunt deer on Sundays. I only get a little bit of time off and I need every day I can get. The only time I like not hunting on Sunday is the day before buck. It' s nice to be up in camp, hanging out with the guys, sleeping in, cutting some firewood, visiting guys in other camps, etc. It' s like going on a business trip and having one day to yourself before all the meetings start.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-10-2003, 01:04 PM

Default RE: Sunday hunting in PA?

So contact your legislator. Only they can change the law.

Here' s some info you may like: PaSportsman.org/Sunday_Hunting.htm
Old 10-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting on Sundays? I wish.... I really wish....

Down here in Virginia it is a long drawn out battle that never gets anywhere. The answer is always " NO" . [:@] It' s some ridiculous " Blue Law" or something from probably the year 1873 that has remained current still to this day. (Hey, I' m not originally from Virginia, but I am reporting what the hunting laws are here.

Butch
Old 10-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

In WV they voted on Sunday hunting...and in EVERY county that voted it was voted down. It wasn' t even close...something like 3-1 against.

Absolutely rediculous. Nothing stops a body from going to church on Saturday.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:18 PM

More info on Sunday Hunting events in 2003 at this link:

Sunday Hunting News 2003

Quick Reply: Sunday hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.