Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Stewart State Forest >

Stewart State Forest

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Stewart State Forest

Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Stewart State Forest

Has anyone hunted Stewart State Forest in the last couple of years. How has it been?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In New Jersey?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

BowHunterCop, Was talking about Stewart State Forest in New Windsor, NY adjacent to Stewart Airport (Orange County). Hunted out there a few years ago. It's Kind of a madhouse. 7500 acres. They have designated parking spaces throughout the forest that kind of defines a hunting area. They only allow 1 car per space and a max of 3 hunters in a car to manage the number of hunters in the forest. Most of the spaces are far enough apart that you often don't run into other hunters. Not always but that was the case most of the times that I hunted there. Cars start to line up at the gate very early and they don't open until about 1/2 hour before sunrise. Much too late for me. I like to get in at least 1- 1/12 hrs before shooting light. Once they open the gate it's a race to get to one of the hunting areas that you want (have scouted) before someone ahead of you gets that spot. This goes on from the opening of the season to the end. Seams like once the cars start rolling the deer are alarmed and dissapear. I have only taken one doe out of there in 3 seasons (a total of 9 hunting days). Opportunities on a few small bucks but passed. Opening weekend i'm upstate in Steuben County but if we are not as successful I want to get the most out of the $150 Non-resident License and Stewart is about 1 hr and 15 away.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

my best friend hunted up there for two years cause it was closer to home then where he hunts in Elmira, NY.....He said the samething as you it's a mad house and not worth it
Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah , have not totally decided if I'm going there or not. Just want to get the most out of the non-res tag. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sterling Forest just over the boarder from NJ
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, That was my original though but that is zone 3p and there is no chance for Non-Residents to get tags over there. Might have to just go over there and Tag a buck if I don't fill my buck tag upstate opening weekend.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

friend of mine from NJ hunts sterling forest often for turkey and deer