Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Turkey hunting WNY State land/forest? >

Turkey hunting WNY State land/forest?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Turkey hunting WNY State land/forest?

Old 04-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey hunting WNY State land/forest?

Basically lost all my hunting ground last fall, so this year will be turkey hunting primarily state land. Any here hunted Hanging Bog, Farmersville, Crabb Hollow or Allen Lake State Forests or know where abouts to start on these in terms of finding some birds? The areas are so large, I don't know where to start to try and get in some bird activity. Any input would be great, thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well your getting a little bit of a late start with the season opening Wednesday.Don't know these places but I'm in the same boat. Are these all state forests or are a couple WMA?

Down load google earth and start looking for some nice ridges you can toggle back and forth from google maps to look at a topo. Also look for area's of the state forest that connect to farmer fields. It can be a real asset to find fields that are going to be plowed or have manure spread on them .Don't be afraid to knock on a door or to and see if they will let you hunt the edge.

Take a drive today and check out a few of the choice area's and go for a quick scout at each location might want to do it toward sunset so you can see if you can roost a bird. Tomorrow morning get up early and find an area that you can hear a long way and listen for birds don't call use a owl hoot or crow call and see if you can shock a bird might want to do the same thing in the afternoon.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just looked really quick there are a couple spots like I mentioned in the Farmersville state forest and you might want to check out that big ridge top off Bush hill road.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah hard because I work a 3-11 shift, makes getting up in the AM after a shift tough but going to try it in the AM. Any certain direction of ridges turkeys seem to prefer meaning north vs south vs east vs west?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

The direction of the ridge doesn't make a huge difference, you want to pay attention to which way they go after they hit the ground and where the hens are. I been out a lot lately and they haven't been gobbling a whole lot. Saw four long beards with hens on Friday they were in the field at 6:15 and never gobbled every thing I heard was way far off.

3-11 makes it tough that's for sure.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck tg2!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Were you able to get out at all? How far from the Binghamton area are you?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I might be able to put you on birds in Bully Hill SF, send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Haven't been out in the AMS. Will go out this AM to check a trail cam, see if any pics, def. going out tonight, guess tomorrow will be based on what I hear tonight or not.