Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY youth hunt

Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY youth hunt

So, did people see/hear much activity from the "controversial" youth gun hunt this past weekend?? I heard maybe 1-3 shots over the 3 days that could have been rifle but could have been turkey hunters too. Just curious becasue there are/were some that thought it was going to be a terrible inconvenience to bow hunters and "ruin" the bow season.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doughboysigep View Post
So, did people see/hear much activity from the "controversial" youth gun hunt this past weekend?? I heard maybe 1-3 shots over the 3 days that could have been rifle but could have been turkey hunters too. Just curious becasue there are/were some that thought it was going to be a terrible inconvenience to bow hunters and "ruin" the bow season.
I think in NY there are such a small number of young people getting into hunting that it wouldent really have a negative affect, but is important because the average age of hunters seems to be rising and rising each year
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

I was and am still not even sure of youth hunt dates, but I did hear a single shot 2 days ago(monday).
I say, let em' hunt. It doesn't bother me.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't hear any shots but I feel the youth hunt is a great idea ! as far as it "ruining" archery season it's nowhere near rut yet so get the kids in the woods and have fun
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

I was out on a bear track for 4 hrs Saturday I heard 3 rifle shots in different directions.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't notice.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If read the DEC report it was a huge success, and over 12,000 kids participated, and 500 plus deer were harvested, and many many hunters previously against it suddenly changed minds, and all for it!!!
I love the DEC, and how they promote what want to work for more $. They'll say anything to make a $ now. I mean how in world would they know how many kids participated, and too boot it was a nasty weather wknd. How would they know several people have changed their minds over it. I mean come on use some common sense, they must think were a bunch dummies to believe such political b.s.
Don't get me wrong I'm all for the kids, and have pushed for getting more kids involved. I'm willing to give up my bow for a wknd so a kid can get some time. I've taken many kids out on the youth turkey hunt, and think thats the absolute best way to introduce kids to hunting. But don't blow smoke up our rears in trying to push something for the sake of $. That ticks me off!!!!!!!