Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Question for PA Dove Hunters >

Question for PA Dove Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Question for PA Dove Hunters

Old 09-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for PA Dove Hunters

Are you guys seeing less birds this year than in years past? I' ve been out two afternoon/evenings and have only used about 8-10 shells. I used to burn through two or more boxes an afternoon. I' m hearing a lot less shooting this year also and I' m not seeing as many doves that are out of range either. Is this a trend or could it be that the land around me has changed (ie - different crops etc.)

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for PA Dove Hunters

Yea i have been seeing less birds where i hunt, but more on the powerlines. I have been out 3 times and only used liek 8 shells all together.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:12 PM

Hi Barnes. I did not hunt last year for doves, but the shooting this year is not exactly fast and furious. This isn' t Argentina though, where the hunters are standing knee-high in shotgun shells, so I guess I can' t expect too much. Maybe it' ll get better a bit later into the season. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I' m seeing about the same amount of birds....been out twice, had some shootin but when hunting alone, it' s tough to keep them flying...they light on the power lines and spook before you get in range, circle and back to the lines out of range....It' s probably pretty funny to watch me from a distance....lol
Old 09-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

We stand and shoot them as they fly by here. They just don' t seem to be flying by - that' s the problem. I see plenty of them sitting on wires as I drive to my hunting spot. I' d probably get more in my back yard than I would where I hunt. Kind of like deer these days.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-11-2003, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

No change here really though I have only been out twice and that was the first two days of the season. Based on what you stated it sounds like your spot is somewhat lacking this year. Change of food source/travel routes maybe?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that every year there is a different crop planted where I hunt. This year It' s a little bit of hay but nothing else. Just overgrown, mostly. There is a little strip of sweet corn and about an acre of sunflowers that are only about 2 feet tall now. Must have been planted late. My guess is that the area is not as desireable this year as the years when it' s all corn or soybeans. Maybe this area will not be farmed in the future. It' s state park so I guess the park leased to farmers in the past. Not sure.....