Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 QDM in Delaware????? >

QDM in Delaware?????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

QDM in Delaware?????

Old 08-28-2003, 06:25 AM

Default QDM in Delaware?????

I' ve been reading alot about states that have implimented QDM programs with success. It doesn' t sound all bad. I' d like to know what you guys think about doing this in DE?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:06 AM

Default RE: QDM in Delaware?????

I think DE has just about ideal regs, and it' s already a form of QDM. You can take all the does you want, but only two bucks, and one of those has to be a Quality Buck. I think it' s perfect the way it is. Compafe it to MD or NJ next door, where you can take 6 or more bucks per season, and the few areas in Nj where there' s antler restrictions, they' re half arsed and don' t even protect all the yearlings. DE demands a 15" spread, which is how antler restrictions should be.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:48 AM

I think Sika nailed it...Delaware has a great compromise that should satisfy both meat and trophy hunters alike. Personally, and I' ll admit it' s selfish[8D], I hate the November shotgun season smack dab in the middle of the rut. Having it so places a huge burden on the younger bucks...particularly the buttons through 2.5 year olds.

I' m not a 100% on board with strict QDM rules becasue I think it places far to heavy an importance on doe harvest. In the long run, I think that will need to be relaxed a bit. My guess is non-biological factors (e.g. forestry, agriculture, insurance co' s. etc) influence the QDM standards more than is recognized. I am, however, very supportive of letting the youg buck grow up!

We have antler restriction policies on three of the properties I hunt and the results have been incredible!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:21 AM

I have some mixed feelings about DE' s approach to QDM.

I do think a 2 Buck max across all the seasons is great. I' ve seen alot of Spikes and such during pre-season scouting. With only 1 any size Buck Tag, I think alot of Bow Hunters will be thinking twice about shooting a deer like that the 1st couple weeks of Sept. Esp if they hunt with a gun as well. It' ll force people really think about taking a small Buck just for the sake of filling the freezer. There are plenty of Does around for that.

The 1 week warriors that come out during Nov' s Shotgun season wont be affected though I think. They' ll shoot whatever comes by. Thats where antler restrictions would really help. I like the 3 Point on at least one side rule. But thats just my opinion.

What I dont like is the fact you have to pay $10 just for the opportunity to take a Buck. I know the $$ goes towards good programs and $10 for me and you might not be much, but what about the people where that $10 makes a difference? Seniors on Fixed Incomes, Youngsters, the Unemployed, or people with large families with alot of hunters? Put a Buck Tag back in the Liscense and place Antler Restrictions on the Deer that can be taken with that Tag. To keep money flowing in to F&G, continue to charge $10 for the Trophy Hunters who want the Quality Buck Tag and the $10 fee you pay for additional Doe Tags. Its only fair. Dont take the opportunity to take a Buck away from someone just because they might not be able to afford it.

DE is on the right track, but it could be better.

I' ll get off my Soap Box now, and go check the weather forecast for 9/1

Old 08-28-2003, 11:10 AM

Duckmastor2, I can' t make it any easier to swallow, but in these trying and limited economic times, the current license structure was the only recourse for the F&W to maintain their operations. Legislatures will not allow fees increases or license hikes. As such, the much needed income had to come from somewhere and the buck tag is their highest value product. Kids still are free until 15 (not long enough!!!). Seniors over 64 are free as well. Not bad and still a bargain for the mid-Atlantic region.

Labor Day Weather:
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s and highs in the lower 80s
Old 09-01-2003, 08:20 PM

i can honestly say that i practice my own. i just cant see myself gutting a spike...even a 6 pt. i try to shoot at 8 and over. last year i passed on serveral 6' s. they were young and needed a chance to grow. hey, if i need meat...acme, super g, or the local meat market will suffice. that is my outlook and i do not fault those that do not follow my model. there are plenty of does out there to shoot...and they give u shots. as the season goes..i see more and more does. hey, i cant wait until november