Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Youth ????? Spike or 8 Point? >

Youth ????? Spike or 8 Point?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Youth ????? Spike or 8 Point?

Old 01-29-2002, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Youth ????? Spike or 8 Point?

For all you dad's out there, and youngsters...just curios, if given the question, "Would you rather pass up a 4 pt. this year, shooting a doe instead and shoot an 8 pt. next year? or would you rather just shoot the 4 pt. this year, and not shoot the 8 pt. next year because he's already dead?

How would most kids respond, and is it that big of a deal for a kid to shoot a little "buck" over a doe, when it's possible they have never even shot a deer in their life. When I was 17 I passed up my first chance at a buck-a 4 pt., because I didn't want to end my season too soon, and be it misquided or not 14 years ago, I thought he might be around the next year.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Youth ????? Spike or 8 Point?

I told my son, for his first deer, take the shot as he chooses.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:08 AM

I told my son to make sure it was a buck he was shooting at his first year.
I knew how excited a young hunter can get.When he started we had a buck only season and a seperate doe season.He was on his own on what buck to shoot.I didn't want to force him into a trophy only situation.I did tell him if he saw more then one doe in a group to try and shoot the larger doe.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

I'm talking about asking your son what HE wants, not telling him, implying to him, or pressuring him into shooting a certain type of animal. I think some of you would be surprised at your kids answers.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:18 AM
ARO

i think kids today are influenced to much by hunting videos and adult pressure. when i was a kid, i never passed up a deer, looking for a bigger one. when you are young the excitement of seeing any deer within shooting range is unbearable. let kids be kids, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt and shooting a deer. they have there whole life to become trophy hunters, and that in itself is there own decision also.
and yes i am 31, and pass up plenty of deer every year, buts thats my decision to do so.
ARO

www.hunting-pictures.com/members/ARO/2001.html
Old 01-29-2002, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said ARO...

I can remember my first couple deer like it was yesterday, and I killed 3 does before a buck. The does were exciting as heck...and it made my first buck that much better. It leaves steps to climb. JMHO
Old 01-29-2002, 08:44 AM

Sorry NorthJeff I thought when you said dads, you meant what did I tell my son
his first year.You have a good point about asking your son.I left it up to him in buck season.I only told him to try and shoot a bigger doe if more then one in a group because of button bucks being shot for doe.It would only benefit him to let them go for better hunting in the future.Sometimes as a father we
have to use our experience to guide our sons in the right direction.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with you, kind of why I brought this up, I think it's so important to let the kid decide what to shoot. Sometimes we think we know, but do we?

Personally, I think any kid should be thrilled with a doe. I can still remember my first deer, a button buck. I was 16 and my brother was 14. We were the only ones in my family that hunted, and my dad would just drop us off at some friends home who had some private land. My brother and I would wander all over, eventually I shot my deer from a tree that had been struck by lighting, and I just sat on the top of it, and got to the top by shimying.

I was so proud of that deer, what a thrill! I was, and am, hooked for life.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

My 12 year old shot three doe this year one each with a bow , rifle and muzzleloader. He wants a buck of course, but is willing to wait for a good one. His choice without prompting from dad.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:22 PM

well i have only been deer hunting 2 years and havent killed a buck yet. i would shoot the 4 and hope to shoot a diferent 8 next year...

Quick Reply: Youth ????? Spike or 8 Point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.