Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Northumberland Co, PA >

Northumberland Co, PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Northumberland Co, PA

Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Northumberland Co, PA

OK, here is the scoop on my friend and my deer hunting results this year and give you an idea of the deer herd population here in our area. (WMU 4E) Prior to the season we set trail cams out in likely travel corridors throughout the area. We got very few pics of deer, quite a few turkey, and a couple bear. Even a couple pics of coyotes, plus the usual coons, squirrels, etc.
We hung stands in the most promising locations and hunted many days during the archery season. I hunted a total of 16 days and my friend hunted 12 or so. I saw a total of 2 deer. One at quiting time and I could not tell what it was. The other, a nice 8 pt, ended up in my freezer. My friend did not see a single deer. Because of the lack of sightings, I did not attempt to fill my antlerless tags during the rifle season. My friend hunted 6 days and again did not see a single deer. Now, with the late muzzleloader season upon us, we were both off this week and hunted every day. Even doing small pushes for each other. Again, no deer sighted and very little sign. Friday, with a dusting of snow, we did finally see tracks which appeared to be from a doe and yearling. Now granted, there was very little mast crop to speak of this year. The acorns just weren't around. But there is plenty of browse (birch, maple, etc). And there is no agriculture in the area where we hunt. Now we are not ametuers. We've both been at this game 45 years apiece and we have taken a lot of deer (never more than 2 a season - one buck, one doe).
Now personally, although its frustrating not seeing anything, I don't particularly care as I enjoy just being out. But my concern is that if the present trend continues my grandson, who can't wait to go hunting with his grandfather, will soon lose his desire and stop going. And this will be the same situation statewide with the next hunting generation. I am worried that the deer herd may have reached a point where they are unable to recover in some areas.