Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
northern new york >

northern new york

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

northern new york

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ButchA
Wow... Small world...

Back in the 70's and 80's, my folks had a small cottage on a lake up there. Lake Ozonia. It was in between St. Regis Falls and Hopkinton or Nickolville, and bordered both Franklin County and St. Lawrence County.

I remember all the deer hunters back in the 70's camping out in small campers in the woods. Lots of deer and bear in the woods, but you had to go in deep to find them.

BTW, I graduated from Parishville-Hopkinton school back in 1979 and joined the US Coast Guard and moved away. I haven't been up to the Adirondacks in decades.... I imagine a lot has changed since then...

i fish lake ozonia sometimes in the summer. not far away at all. i graduated from colton-pierrepont and am very farmiliar with parishville. arch rivals in soccer (we won the 2006 new york state class D soccer championship, first and only section 10 team to win a soccer state championship.) my dad graduated from colton in 1979 if you played sports you may have known him, may not remember. so yes, very, very small world..
Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

still good number of bear killed up here each year, a local guy shot one at a club in south colton was a little over 420, thats the biggest one i saw this year. the deer hunting can be tough but its decent depending on where you are. like you said, lot of thick huge chunks of hardwoods. i dont imagine too aweful much has changed really, small communities, not much going on. unemployment rate may be higher lol.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13
i fish lake ozonia sometimes in the summer. not far away at all. i graduated from colton-pierrepont and am very farmiliar with parishville. arch rivals in soccer (we won the 2006 new york state class D soccer championship, first and only section 10 team to win a soccer state championship.) my dad graduated from colton in 1979 if you played sports you may have known him, may not remember. so yes, very, very small world..
Wow... If your dad played baseball, then I would probably remember him. I played varsity baseball for Parishville (centerfield) back in 1978 and 1979, and was also in the band, marching band, jazz band, etc... too.

Small world!

Edit: You mentioned unemployment rate... LOL... Back in 1979 when we all graduated from H.S., I think almost every guy went into the service and only a scant few went to college. The unemployment rate (thanks to Jimmy Carter) was 11% in northern New York back then.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Long Island has been slow on the RUT lately. have had movement first part of Nov, then the weather never changed. i really am at a loss..........have no clue if the rut is over, or delayed, or what.
Had 7 does under me last evening...........5 skips, 1 yearling, and a 2-3 year old

i am lost.......not a buck in sight
Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Buckyou
Long Island has been slow on the RUT lately. have had movement first part of Nov, then the weather never changed. i really am at a loss..........have no clue if the rut is over, or delayed, or what.
Had 7 does under me last evening...........5 skips, 1 yearling, and a 2-3 year old

i am lost.......not a buck in sight
yeah thats what i hear a lot of people saying, they arnt really sure what phase the rut is in.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

If I had to guess the main stage is done and pretty much over now .
2nd late doe in heat stage should be mid to late Dec. .
Weather palys a big factor but they still need to eat , sleep, and breed .
Warm , cold , snow, rain , in the end plays a role but nature will always take its place .
I still firmly believe the 2 back to back heavy snow storms we had last winter along with the cold brisk temps took a tole on a good number of whitetails up here in Northern NY .
Trail cameras dont lie . 2 or 3 deer on film compared to last year up to 10 in one picture ..Not counting many more pics from last season...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

the harsh winter definitely took its toll i totally agree. the primary stage of the rut seems to be done here, too. ive been hunting with my bow to try and get one more. i didnt get a bow kill this year just a couple gun kills so a bow kill will end my seaon, as it is over in one week anyway.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I also hunt in 6k , saw a monster buck in week 2 and then nothing since. Not even the does of years past.Sad end to another Northern Zone season , wish we had a late Muzzle loader in 6k. I too agee the winter from last year took its toll. May take a few years to rebuild. I had a doe tag for 6k but chose not to use it due to low doe sightings.

Last edited by sbuff; 12-05-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

yeah i like late muzzleloader, i usually just bow hunt it. ill see a bruiser at about 60 yards probably and cry haha.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

i couldnt buy a deer sighting lately...really helps when its early december and about 50 degrees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.