HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Sloooowwww start to the season ,,,NY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/351872-sloooowwww-start-season-ny.html)

TRACKER 10-19-2011 07:37 PM

Sloooowwww start to the season ,,,NY

I know theres always someone with an excuse .. LOL.
I realize I havent hunted as much so far this year compared to the last 3 yrs. , But deer sightings are WAY down .
I,m up in Northern NY hunting woods, fields and some food plots .
I ,ve had my cameras out since April and have gotten onlt a few deer on film .
I,ve been out in a couple different enclosed tree stands and have seen very few deer .
Last winter it was a normal NNY winter . By that I mean we got quite a bit of snow , Especially late in the winter 2 storms back to back with 10 to 14" each storm .
We had snow banks 15 feet on the sides of the roads .
I was worried abought the deer servival every since, Now I,m wondering if I was right ..
Anyone else been seeing a lot less deer ???

Joe Teh Archer 10-19-2011 09:05 PM

I hunt with my father and his friend on 80 acres near Stamford, and we are seeing a lot of does, dropped 2 so far. No bucks yet :(

Bernie P. 10-20-2011 03:39 AM

In my area the rain has been coming down far more than I've ever seen this time of year.

Western MA Hunter 10-20-2011 07:02 AM

saw (and shot) buck opening am... saw 1 other deer at dark on stand in 4 sits...

been seeing alot of bucks on roads at night though...

TaggedOut 10-20-2011 03:53 PM

We see beaucoup deer each time were out.
Smaller bucks, does, fawns, but we know from the scapes/tracks/cameras, there are several nice ones nearby.
Haven't drew back yet, but it's a-coming.
Local hunter arrowed a 153 3/8 green score 13 pt.
Dressed weight of 226 lbs. as we were told.
Saw the pics, it is/was a big deer.

TRACKER 10-20-2011 05:30 PM

Last day for bow/ muzzleloader tommorow .
Cant believe its rifle season already .
We got rain, wind and thunder/lightning this afternoon/evening ,
Somecrazy Late October weather . Rain I,d say we have enough for 2 seasons , man is it wet and muddy.
Already had to recut a couple new 4 wheeler shortcuts do to bottoming out in the muck ..
It was rain and fog this evening and seen 3 deer within 70 yards with just enough light , To bad I Didnt bring my muzzleloader ...Bow in hand ..

Mr October 10-23-2011 05:31 PM

No deer in Sidney/masonville NY. I would like to think I am cautious when it comes to scent covering , movement, making noise ect. I was on stand, my wife and another buddy differnt spots thru-out the weekend I saw the but of one deer all weekend. It was one of two deer seen all WEEK. I hope all is okay with the herd. Lots of black bear and coyote in the area.

*twodogs* 10-24-2011 12:20 PM

Agree, onondaga county sighting down for me. No sign at all in my areas that is usually loaded. Saw one doe Friday, one buck Saturday, nothing within range. Usually I see 10-12 does by now and have at least one in the freezer. I know the acorn crop is not what is was last year so they could be on different food sources. I'd like to know if anything is chasing yet but I can't see any deer to tell whether or not that is the case.

snedd162 10-25-2011 04:40 AM

Deer sighting in Unadilla and Afton are down too. seeing but just seems to be way down from last year. I believe that all the rain we recieved ruined some of the crops in my 2 areas and the deer have moved elsewhere. Seeing a few does here and there but for the most part absolutely no bucks at all.

Buckyou 10-25-2011 04:46 AM

seeing deer...just keep missing.