Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa guys.....

Old 08-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default pa guys.....

what are you PA guys seeing as of deer?? hows it look compared to previous years?? i havent gotten out yet.....im waiting until sept or so to start my scouting......i cant wait for this year.....i just bought a flintlock....so that gives me 2 more seasons to hunt i never had before.....this year instead of tagging out the first day im going to try to wait for a little better buck....not a monster but somehting a little nicer then a first year deer.....ill try to take a doe in october with the smokepole for meat..but if i dont it wont hurt..dad will take his does like he does every year...what about you guys? what are you guys seeing? i live in the city so i cant even see deer in my yard or anything.......
Old 08-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pa guys.....

I have been seeing a good bit of buck. We planted some food ploits in a field at the farm we hunt and it seems to of attracted alot more deer. and the buck are alot nicer this year. Do u live in pittsburgh? i see that u live in SW PA and so do i, live in westmoreland county between monroeville and greensburg. But this year should be a great year for buck hunting . Like u i will prolly take a doe maybe even the first day of archery to get the ichy release finger out of the way. then settle in and just wait for a shooter to come into a lane for a shot.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:07 PM

I have been seeing a few good bucks as well as some smaller ones, looks promising though. Since my county is a 4-point rule I am gonna take a doe for some meat. Then I will wait for around an 8-point with a 15 or better spread. Nothing huge, just a good, respectable buck.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been seeing lots of does with twin fawns and a few bucks running around too! Nothing too big, but bigger than usual. I read somewhere once that wet spring has tendency to produce bigger racks....or was it a dry spring? I can' t remember....anyone read that?
Old 08-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve got lots of deer in my area, some nice bucks, but the HUGE ones are a few hillsides away from my core area. As usual I will shoot as many does in 2b as I can, and wait for a nicer buck>14" spread early on, but as the season drags on, anything bigger than last years 12" spread could be in trouble.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds good!!! i cant wait!!! i live in beaver county but hunt venango mostly......just not enough land down here.....theres not to many places you can take a high powerd rifle out and hunt with down here....when i go out behind the house rifle season or not i will probally have the flintlock in my hands just for saftey concerns....sure a 50cal bullet will still travel far...but not half as far as a hot 3006....we have a few good spots up north we hunt the first few days....but october and flintlock i will probally be down here because dad doesnt flintlock and i dont have a car of my own yet.........either way it doesnt matter i know the deer WERE there....i know a NICE buck behind my house made it past the season last year....now if he didnt get hit or anything i can hunt him...ill find out in a month....he was big....good mass and tine legnth and a spread wider then his ears...i could tell that at about 80yds i seen him will i was just walking around.......i cant wait to get out.....i wont get out until the leaves start to change and it cools off a bit thoughthe hills are steep and woods are thick...i wouldnt get much out of going back now..just push the deer out.....i cant wait.....
Old 08-12-2003, 01:46 PM

Unfortunately I' m not seeing a lot of deer. I just moved to Johnstown in May so I am still learning the woods around here. The deer are all in the summer mode and i' m trying to predict where they will be come fall. I have a few spots that look promising but time will tell.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sadly, deer tallies are down this year. I am just not seeing as many on the actual gamelands themselves. I drove through this evening after getting off from work and only saw one deer in the various gameland fields. Disappointing compared to last year.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 PM

ive been seing alot of deer and most of them are alot bigger than in previous years i think this population control laws or whatever it is will really help out once given a few years
Old 08-13-2003, 06:06 AM

Been seeing less, but on a couple of trips through one SGL' s that I hunt, I' ve seen as much if not more sign. If I had to guess, I' d say this years lush vegetation from all the rain has changed their patterns a bit from all the dry years we' ve had in the recent past and populations are still pretty high.

Quick Reply: pa guys.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.