Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Anyone ever hunt the NCTC in WV? >

Anyone ever hunt the NCTC in WV?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anyone ever hunt the NCTC in WV?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone ever hunt the NCTC in WV?

I am heading out to the orientation on Tuesday, and wondering if anyone has any insight into which are the better areas to hunt? They do assign you a stand, but I am guessing that, atleast for bow season, they have more stands than bow hunters signed up and qualified.

(I applied for 5 hunts, 2 bow and 3 gun, and got 4 of the 5. The only one I did not get was the day after Thanksgiving gun hunt...the first gun hunt day on the property)
Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

To be honest I'm not quite sure what NCTC is. Care to elaborate? It sounds nice from what you're saying.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by boonecountybowhunter
To be honest I'm not quite sure what NCTC is. Care to elaborate? It sounds nice from what you're saying.
It is the National Conservation Training Center in Sheperdstown, WV.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Martinsburg and know that area around the NCTC pretty well....some very nice bucks in the general vicinity, but I'm afraid I cant speak to the actual fws land. I heard they make you take a couple of doe(s) first, is that true???

are these one day only hunts???
Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1
I live in Martinsburg and know that area around the NCTC pretty well....some very nice bucks in the general vicinity, but I'm afraid I cant speak to the actual fws land. I heard they make you take a couple of doe(s) first, is that true???

are these one day only hunts???
There are some downsides. They do make you earn a buck, although they let you carry your earned buck over many seasons.

The hunts are either a morning or evening hunt, with 2 archery only days, 2 shotgun days and 1 muzzleloader day.

The thing I like least about it is that deer taken count against your regular tag limits...they really should use their federal standing and make these 'free' deer, especially since you must earn a buck.

I am going to hunt archery opening morning there, and I will update on Sunday. I also have a slot for a morning shotgun hunt on Dec 3, which I am looking forward to because I will bring my 9 year old son who can sit next to me in the big 2 person stands they have installed.

Last edited by Sniggle; 09-28-2011 at 03:39 PM.