Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Maryland approves Gonacon >

Maryland approves Gonacon

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland approves Gonacon

Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maryland approves Gonacon

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...control-051611

I would like to see the plan on distribution/injection. Also the budget to fund such a project. Sounds like the drug works, but what is the feasibility of distribution and tagging the animal? Especially since the meat cannot be consumed.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Spike

Default gonacon

from what I understand the cost is 1000 dollars an animal..plus
the effectivness of the drug drops off considerably by year two, so most animals would have to be injected again...also the animal has to be caught and injected...Maryland DNR says the use will be
very, very limited to areas where hunting cannot be done.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a mess. I can't see why this is more suitable than letting bowhunters access these areas and help manage the herd.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 AM
Spike

I agree. At 1000 dollars a pop, one might think it would be cheaper and easier to kill the deer and feed the hungry then to jump through all the hoops, capture the deer and inject it with this drug when they already know by year 2 it is considerably ineffective. As far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong, a deer that has been killed and eaten has zero chance of having a fawn ever. Of course, this isn't PC and we absolutely must protect the sensibilities of PETA, the various so called humane associations, and all those local Md. politicians that advocate animal rights. You know, the ones who introduce bills every year to stop the bear hunt, that I believe live in AA and PG and Mont. counties where there are no bears.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Goodness, I got to move out of this freakin state!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully common sense will prevail here as it did with the black bear hunts. I think getting the drug approved for use is a milestone that will calm the backers (peta, etc).

Getting it put to use is a whole other phase that I don't see succeeding. DNR already says it is limited to 2% applicability in the state.

in other words, what a f'in waste of the people's money!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Spike

Chazspot I hope you are right but I have my doubts. Some humane associations are already championing more "research" to "improve" the drug delivery system from capture and inject to just shoot and inject, a dart or something I guess. This would lower the cost and increase that 2% to something far greater. This is entire thing is just another example of Maryland politicians pandering to a very vocal minority.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

the effectivness of the drug drops off considerably by year two, so most animals would have to be injected again
When injected with a bullet or arrow, efficacy is usually acheived in just one dose.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BCRules
Goodness, I got to move out of this freakin state!!!
come on over to Eastern panhandle of WV... we already HAVE most Marylanders here now....whats' a few more...
Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rem1100
come on over to Eastern panhandle of WV... we already HAVE most Marylanders here now....whats' a few more...
One thing I would miss, is those eastern shore big bucks. I hunted penalton county for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.