Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader? >

NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader?

Were heading up this weekend to try the muzzle loader out, never seen much movement this late in the season, how have you guy done?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the food sources....If the acorn crop is as good where you hunt as it is here in Steuben County, oaks would be a good draw..

Typically I get together with a few friends on " MZ Weekend" and drive patches..We have had good luck over the years.. I took my best buck ever on Dec 18 1994 in the late MZ season...

Good luck...
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been hunting with my savage.50cal most of the regular season, went out this morning, down the street from my house, saw a group of does at 60 yards, through the brush as soon as I stepped in the woods, had 1 broadside in the crosshairs but I couldnt tell if it was a fawn so I tried to stalk in for a better look, took 1 step and they caught my movement. Jumped another 1 a couple minutes later but no shot, so I wound up taking the 11lb rifle for a walk in the snow, up an down the mountain, for the next few hours, good times!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the area we usually hunt in got wacked with a total 76" of snow so far this year, most of it last week!! That would make it up to your waist or higher!! Tuff sledding even with snow shoes on I would guess!!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, Paulie, that's a LOT of snow..

We only have a couple inches here in Steuben County...PERFECT....

I was out this morning and had about a dozen deer around my treestand..I was waiting for one to step clear of the brush and offer a clear shot when a sharp eyed old doe looked up and spotted me in the stand..

BUSTED....!!!... All I saw was 12 tails going up over the hill.......
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default How's the late season going?

I've had limited time but have been out . Same story all Fall- I'm setting my stands too close to bedding areas and literally have found deer camped out under them as I approach at first light. At least it's easier too see them w/snow on the ground. Still haven't gotten off a shot during bow or ML'er.
I plan to be in the tree early tomorrow.
Good luck.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Was out this morning with no luck, didn't even see a deer. Ive never had much luck on morning hunts this time of year. gonna go back out this afternoon and hope for better luck.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Angry Couldn't bear it this a.m.

But yesterday at 7:30 a spike ran two does right under my stand; one ran off quickly but the other hesitated and meandered to a more shootable yardage. Just as I was about to squeeze the shot off, she bolted taking the spike w/ her. Now- wind was in my favor, mossy oak camo 15' up a pine tree & I couldn't figure they winded me though they were near my boot tracks in the snow at the time.
Movement to my left caught my eye and there I saw a real healthy-looking coyote coming out of the brush; I assume the deer had noticed it as well.
I've been on-stand every morning this week from 5:30 -8:00 w/ similar results.Honestly, I just couldn't do it again this a.m. but
would like to give p.m. a shot-pun intended.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Spike

I closed the deal on a nice doe tonight. First deer ever using a muzzleloader. About 4:15 the birds and squirrels started going crazy making noise and I figured something was nearby. 4:20 I noticed movement directly under my stand and a train of six does (3 fawns) walked beneath me from behind the stand. The several inches of light fluffy snow allowed them to creep up on me. Momma got to about 50 yds before I could shoot. A puff of white smoke and a mule kick and she ran 40yds and dropped. May have to hunt with this muzzleloader during shotgun season too, I love it and it kicks less. Good luck all in New York, 2 days left!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

In Broome, this season has pretty much sucked.
I've seen a total of 3 deer during daylight hours, none of which I could get a shot on.
The best opportunity was on turkeys at 15 yards through brush with my bow. I missed.
This marks the SECOND season I've been skunked, and I'm pretty unhappy about it.
Not sure what to do about it either. Mad, frustrated, disappointed, etc.
I'd be a "vegetarian" (aka lousy hunter) if I didn't hit one with my truck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.