Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Gun Season

Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I only was able to hunt one day in 4A. I saw 12 deer, 3 were bucks. At 8:10am a hot doe was being chased by two 6 points, I took the larger 6 and then the other 6 ran down to my buddy and he shot it. The other buck I saw was a spike.

Mine

The one that was with him

Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt there because I live there and there is no reason why I should expect to find better hunting anywhere else in 5C. Would you prefer that I go to an area with much poorer habitat and cover and hope to find more deer? Haven't you been telling us that the deer will be where they have good food and cover? That is where I am hunting, but when the PGC issues 125 doe tags/FSM it doesn't matter how good the food and cover might be , you still won't have many deer unless they are off limits to hunting.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

My friend hunts 5C and tags out every year by the second week of the early archery season. He also hunts with me in 3D with an additional doe tag. We hunt the Delaware State Forest (logged) surrounded by hunting clubs and developments. We are successful hunting thickets, swamps, and mast producing trees growing among them. You can not waste time in 20 year old/20ft high birch bark, and expect to see a deer/nor in open SGL woods.
Archery buck hotspots intermixed with suburban development doe, or true off the beaten path swamp loving doe/bucks.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Opening day for me was 8 doe, grouse, active bear tracks, and a bunch of other sign.
There you have have it from my neck of the deer devoid state (30k doe permits).
Archery was sub legal/legal buck daily.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Saw total of 4 first day in 5c, and about a dozen the second day. One was a 4-point and the rest baldies. I ended up with 2 button bucks. Haven't seen any of the six non-shooters I saw in archery. But seems to be the typical year, little action the first day and see alot more and shoot more the second day. With the bucks being scarce.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking Buck WVBrent! Congrats!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Spike

I saw 11 doe and an 8point all by 8:30 opening day in the eastern part of 4e. even grouse hunting in 2g i saw many deer in the deep wood of Sproul state forest. The 8 was not a monster but 16in spread and big body.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

first day out saw 2 does.....the next morning I saw 3 illegal bucks and 5 does. I never had a good shot on any of the does. I live in 5D and hunt both 5D and 5C....
Old 12-05-2010, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Zrabfan26
I ended up with 2 button bucks. Haven't seen any of the six non-shooters I saw in archery. But seems to be the typical year, little action the first day and see alot more and shoot more the second day. With the bucks being scarce.

Don't complain next year that bucks are scarce.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA-The Very Best Hunter Complainers

Nothing like PA. If you want to and just love to complain, just hunt PA. Unfortunately, the highest number of unsuccessful hunters come from Pa, because PA has the most hunters.
If every hunter was successful in PA, all deer would really be wiped out. They use to have a million hunters, restricted to two weeks of antlered hunting. Now, they're down to some 750,000 and the hunting seasons expanded a little. But never enough deer.

Nothing like 350,000 so called hunters, hunting the same acre of land, year after year, and complaining about not seeing any deer.
Of course, if half weren't unsuccessful in PA, they'd really have a reason to complain. No Deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.