Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

That's enough!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Question That's enough!

I've been a "lurker" here for long enough-2 yrs or so. Opening day of firearms season in NY seems a good time to go public.
I've hunted since I was a kid,primitive season is really my bag- both bow and muzzleloader; but as the username says I do take advantage of all 3seasons here in 4u. Went out this a.m. and, honestly, have a few questions/observations & perhaps a little venting as well:

Due to work -related time constraints these past several years I've let more than a few good hunting properties go to others & spent most of my time afield on one local farm. I have a great time, and am usually successful on this property-it's just a nice place to be. Until rifle season. Past few years has been similar:
Today I was up at 4:15, scent free shower, wind in my favor, in the stand( below the pines and above 4 nice fields w/ an oak tree laced funnel )quietly by 5:00. Other group who hunts there actually drove to their stands, all of which are in/on large open fields a bit later. By 7:30 it seemed like all those guys had shot, some a few times, while I was looking at a squirrel. One.
Same story all morning-I lost count at 70 or so, shots all around the area. At least a few rounds sounded alot like a Howitzer- I half expected air support to be called in . Now, I've been on this farm for the past few weeks during bow season and did not see 7 deer total, which was very unusual, let alone 70 bucks( no DMP's here) all in fields. At the same time!
So-what's going on here? Is every tactic I was taught pointless then?
Frustrating-I'm already looking forward to muzzleloading season-cap & ball .50 cal.
Open to thoughts/comments,etc.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Seems like rifle season brings out alot of lazy slobs that shoot at anything that stands still.I like B/P season alot less hunters in the woods
Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Oldshed- I understand what you are saying, but that's not necessarily the direction I hoped this would go...
As mentioned, I pay attention to scent control even during firearms season. Year after year I've known guys who don't, some of whom even smoke cigarettes while on stand, yet routinely see & harvest good deer.
While I try to approach my stand based on wind direction & as quietly as possible I've also seen folks ride an atv in, park next to their stand yet also see/shoot deer. Not just during firearms season either.
Unfortunately, this suggests to me that skills may not be as important as luck.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Spike

Gosh, I've been a lurker here for many many years too.....always loved this forum.

From my experience hunting in upstate NY, primarily in 4W and 3M with a host of other areas as well, unless you have a really large tract of private land or trek way into the back woods where most wont go, then the mere existence of all the hunters in the woods, plus the all the shooting will immediately cause deer to shift their natural patterns. After opening weekend, some areas will settle back down.

I was always the fanatical scent safe guy in our camp who paid ridiculous attention to detail. But as you mention, when guns start a blazing, sometimes luck is what will lead to a deer rather than all other routines we would go through.

Good woodsmanship, studying the land, practicing safety, being scent conscious and more, will to me always be a part of my regimen. So keep on doing all the good things you're doing and that with a little bit of luck, will soon pay off for you....

PS - I bet there are more lurkers than members who visit this and other forums.....