Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
best deer hunting areas in Maine >

best deer hunting areas in Maine

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

best deer hunting areas in Maine

Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Spike

Default best deer hunting areas in Maine

I have heard that there are not as many deer up north as there used to be. Which part of the state has the best deer population? Is there any advantage to hunting remote areas, or am I just as well off to hunt near the coast? I live in the midcoast area.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Spike

We hunt Brownville area each year, and alot fewer deer up there now, but its nice area to get away from the crowds, and what buck we see are often good ones. Heading up Sunday for week. Best hunting has to be down south after couple rough winters in central and nothern Maine few years back.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Spike

Take a look at which Districts the Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife issued the most doe permits for. Midcoast Maine, you're not far away.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/licenses_pe...tm#allocations

Good Luck, Jay
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Spike

Northern Maine has been hit pretty hard the last 2 winters. We, 4 of us hunted up in the Northern part again, and this year 2010 was the worst we have seen. We hunted, walked and rode ATV's for a week and we never cut a track. We also talked to a forest worker and he told us that he covers 2000 miles of back roads thru the year and he only saw 6 deer all year. DO NOT hunt northern Maine for about 5 years if you want to harvest a deer.