Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Weather this weekend...yuk >

Weather this weekend...yuk

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Weather this weekend...yuk

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Weather this weekend...yuk

Well here in NY where i hunt they are calling for 20+ mph winds for the saturday opener. Sucks when you look forward to it for so long and then the weather might keep you out of the tree stand...
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Not me

Just one more reason I biult enclosed stands the last couple years .
Although I like the feeling of being more open when I use my lone wolf portable ,
But on those crappy days its only a dash to and from the stand ..
Save one for me ,.. LOL....
Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, our season has been open for a while now but very few deer let up in this part of the country.. We are supposed to be getting up to 60+ mph winds and rain. Then showers on Saturday with 20+ mph winds.. No hunting up here on Sundays..
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear i know down here in MD its 20moph winds too. Im using the opportunity to move a stand that way hoepfully the wind will help clear out and leftover smell in the area.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 AM
Dominant Buck

We have a noreaster coming for Vt but hopefully I'll drive out of it on the way to Colorado.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I figure that the weather will do one of two things - either keep them hunkered down in the thickets until it lets up, or they'll move a little bit to eat, and get back to cover quick.
I'm planning to ground hunt instead of climber stand hunt, and I have 2 places right along routes to feeding areas I plan to sit on for the morning and evening hunts.
I'll be hunkering down myself in the warmth of the cabin during the brunt of the day, though it is supposed to let up some in the early afternoon, which may make them get moving earlier if they've been cooped up for an extended period.
Anyone else have thoughts on my theories?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I'm thinking I'm glad to be hunting on the ground tomorrow with gusts of 30 around. WNW in Orange County, NY from my stand means it'll be a little tougher with the wind blowin right at em, but I've done it before and it doesn't effect em. Too many people walking around the woods, they get customed to seeing us and go about their business. If back in Yonkers, Westchester & Rockland is any indication, we see em on the roadways any hour of any day, in any condition. But that's usually the problem, we see tons of em everyday, and when we go to our hunting stands upstate, they clam up. If I had to guess, by me, it'll still be a see em in the am till 9:30, and maybe again at 5:00. Leaves a lot of sleep time