Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Going After Deer for the First Time w/Bow >

Going After Deer for the First Time w/Bow

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Going After Deer for the First Time w/Bow

Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Spike

Default Going After Deer for the First Time w/Bow

Hey everyone,

Wish me luck. I will be going into the woods here in NJ for the first time ever after deer this coming Friday. I have been taken under my good friends wing so to say. We are going to hunt together on Friday the 15th. Then on the 19th we are making a 8 hour drive to western PA to hunt for 3 1/2 days. He is a very accomplished archery hunter and is willing to help a newb get going into this fantastic sport. You all may laugh at me here but I am 35 and this is my very first hunt for deer. I have hunted ground hogs in PA for years but never seemed to have the chance to get going with hunting deer until now. If and when I drop one I will post up the pictures.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

No laughing here...I hunted for the 1st time 2 years ago at the age of 44:-) I have gotten one deer each with a bow and gun every year of my long hunting career.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Spike

Good luck! This will be my 3rd bow season. I missed the same 8 point 2 years in a row. Now he's really big, and I'm shooting much better. Good luck again
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Spike

hey everyone,

I am here to give a sitrep on todays hunt. 8 deer seen 2 of the 8 were bucks. 1 buck was just a spike(as my friend called him a devil deer 2 4-5 inch spike growing straight up) the other was a 6 point. I was able to draw back twice once on a larger mature doe to turned quartering away and as I was lining up my 20 pin she move one step and she was obstructed by a leafy branch presenting me with no shot and once on the 6 point who stood straight on with me at 20 yards presenting me with only his chest. The doe can into our stand within 15 minutes of settling in and the buck was within the last few minutes of legal shooting light. there will be a next time and I am now totally addicted to this sport. I noticed because of the adrenaline that drawing back my bow seemed effortless compared to drawing during practice. I got busted once by the 6 1 hour before he came back. I remained calm compared to the first time but being presented with the chest only I chose not to shoot and wait till next time. thanks all for reading this and when I get back from my PA hunt with my friend I will post another update. hopefully with pictures of a down PA deer.

Andrew
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Shows great composure not taking bad shots and that's the fun of the bow, if it's not a clean kill, don't take it. Great first hunt, now knock em dead in PA. Good Luck!.