Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Jersey boy' s >

New Jersey boy' s

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Jersey boy' s

Old 07-05-2003, 07:50 PM

Default New Jersey boy' s

hey, any of you jersey boy' s familure with route 130 south of s. brunswick, I
think the town was called dayton? is this area still good for big buck' s anymore?
not that I' m hunting there but about 18 year' s ago, i used to live in Edison,for a short time, and
bow hunted in that area, was just curious what that area is like today, used
to be some real nice buck' s around then,, thank' s
Old 07-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Jersey boy' s

Wow!!

Funny you should mention Dayton...I work there!!

I was wondering the same thing, about the hunting. I drove around last winter after the season, and asked every farmer for about 5 miles around Dayton, and they all told me the same thing. " Hunting clubs have their lands" .

But to tell you the truth, I drive around after work and in the morning, and hardly see any deer. In about 4 months of working there I' ve seen 5 deer and 2 were bucks....and small at that.

Alot of big homes are built, seems to me that the farmers sold their lands for the $$$$. Alot of strip malls etc.... but still seems like there is enough land for deer though.

If you wanna get to gether and try and hunt the area let me know.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:56 AM

Catskillhuntr, what a small world, I have to get a map, but right around dayton
there was a road that merged into rt130, big huge working corn field' s, on the
right if you were driving south, I saw some beautful buck' s back there, 120
130 class easy, back then i was just getting started bowhunting, and was dumb as
a stump[] I probubly wouldn' t recognise the area if I drove by there today[X(]
back then i used to hunt up in cairo, up in the catskill' s ever hear of that?
Old 07-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Hey norse. Dayton has been built up since you were down here. Alot of office parks and developements. There is still plenty of posted wood lots and fields but they shrink every year. You got out of NJ at the right time.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:38 AM

jersey joe, i still got alot of good memory' s, that area was hot[8D] and also the
pine barron' s, were turning out some real big slob' s, and there was a big
sporting good' s store, about 20 miles south of dayton, a guy I knew killed some
quality P&Y buck' s somewere around there,
Old 07-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Norse--sorry to say but NJ has been really paved over since you left. I have personally lost about 3 choice farms due to development. Our current lease in Zone 2 (Sussex Cty) is being threatened by some homes and a driving range.

Anyway, the big deer are still around and they are being increasingly found in the burbs due to limited or no hunting. We have some monsters in Bergen Cty but you can not hunt legally.

See ya,

Bob
Old 07-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Norseman

I shot my first buck up in the Cairo area a few years back. A nice basket 6 pointer. Hard hunting up there though.

I hunt more in Sullivan and Delaware counties of NY now. Trying to find my way and some spots in NJ now that I live here.

I did find a nice state park that is bowhunting only, and have been told by some guys that every year a couple of 140 150 class bucks are pulled out.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

2 big stores down that way now. Harry' s and Sportsman Center. Both have jamboree' s in August to kick off bow season. I go down and drop some cash every year.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:42 PM

Harry' s and the Sportsman' s center, that' s it, harry' s was first on the left, sports
was next, same side, wow that' s a blast from the past, and the were real good
quality store' s, ya, I guess you cant stop progress, [:@] when I was a kid we had
a deer camp in cairo, big wood' s, man it was pretty up there, I live in a little town
about an hour drive to buffalo n.y. your population goes up, this region pop goes
down, lot' s of job' s in jersey, none up here, they call this the rustbelt, I have to
travel to work, I' m a union electrician, but if it mean' s anything to you, at least there' s job' s down there,
Old 07-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I work in that area also. We just moved into a million sq ft warehouse from S. Brunswick to Cranberry a little further down 130 about 2 miles. It' s at Rt 130 and Station Rd. Anyway theres supposed to be some plublic land off to the right of Dayton as you go North. Never checked it out but I think it was NJbowman that told me.

Quick Reply: New Jersey boy' s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.