Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Blue Knob State Park, PA >

Blue Knob State Park, PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Blue Knob State Park, PA

Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

Default Blue Knob State Park, PA

On the way up to my camp I always pass up Blue Knob State Park. I have always wanted to stop and check it out, but never have. My girlfriend and I are planning on going up this weekend. I read online that they have 5000 acres of hunting land. Has anyone ever hunted there? Any success? Any good stories?

I know the forum said hunting only, but what about the trout streams? Any good?

Thanks and good hunting
Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

I used to hunt the area but I no longer waste my time deer hunting there. blue knob like all dcnr land has been hit very hard by hr. dcnr dmaped blue knob and Gallitzin to the point that seeing a deer is a rare event. If you plan on hunting the area make sure you put aside lots of scouting time you will need it
Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted near the lost children of the alligenies 2 yrs ago in muzzleloader. The deer aren't in their like they used to be. I ended up killing small 4 point' In 3 days of hunting there I only saw 4 bucks and 2 small doe. Back before they changed the doe season for 2 weeks we would see 30 deer a day. If you choose to hunt in that area don't get discouraged if you don't see deer everyday.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

I have to agree with Bowhunter2117 in the fact that they have opened up the state parks in the last two years to open hunting in most areas of the park and have thinned out the herd to the point of where it is hard to see many deer there anymore.

Further down the road - near Bedford, along I 99, there was good deer hunting at one time, but you pretty much have to be born with one leg longer then the other down there to navigate those steep mountains.

By looking at last years records, the deer hunting best zones seems to be 2D from Greensburgh to RT 322 up around Renoldsville PA.
Even that area is getting thinned out to the point of where they had to cut back on the number of doe license for that zone for this year.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Having passed thru the area a few weeks ago I noticed something that has never happened before. Absolutley no dead deer anywhere on the side of the road. Usually form the Turnpike up I99 to Woodlands I can count at least 7-10. This year not a one. Samething along I80 to Clarion. Hopefully I will at least see some deer somewhere when I drive back up through in October. Pa is in bad shape for numbers of deer.