Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Pa hunters:part II >

Pa hunters:part II

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa hunters:part II

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Spike

good point
Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I agree with you Gunchamp and I also agree and will not argue with alot of what DougE stated. However, I am one of those guys who manages private property for turkey, grouse, wood**** as well as deer. They have a food source all year round, we do selective timbering and replanting of preferred species and I don't need an exclosure to prevent the destruction of that young preferred browse growing because there aren't enough deer left in my area to inflict any noticeable damage to my growing corn, soybean, oats, trees, etc. The PaGC destroyed the deer population in my area of 4D and severely hurt them in my area of 4C. I don't want to see 30 deer a day at any given place and I don't expect to, what I do expect for my son is an enjoyable experience seeing wildlife other than bear. How much food does a 300 pound bear eat in a day? Last year I saw more bear than I did deer and that is no word of a lie. With that said you should understand I also do alot of walking and scouting, I am not lazy, I am not Stupid or "Clueless" like DougE always like to imply anytime I say anything in opposition to the PAGC.
As far as deer not eating acorns in the winter that is BS as well. They will still paw through the snow to get to acorns even with winter wheat, rye and oats standing 40 yds away. And with the way the way the PAGC timbered ALL the areas around where I live that "40% Oak tree forest estimate decreases in my area everytime they timber because that is the first thing they cut down and then they leave crap like poplar and gum trees stand. If not for the greenbriar they leave behind they would have very little left to eat for the winter. An acorn mast should not be relied upon as a constant food source because it is not, but when the oaks produce acorns as they did last year it supplied months (even into the spring) of food for all species in an amount equal to the other browse that is there on an annual basis. The percentage of oaks cut down should not be as high in areas where there is already significant damage inflicted on the habitat. By eliminating the potential for this crop it places more pressure on other undergrowth species trying to grow thus the cycle of degeneration continues, there is no other foreseeable outcome. But I am sure I am still "clueless".
I never said deer don't eat acorns in the winter.They do if they're available and if they don't have to paw through two feet of snow to get to them.During periods of heavy snow,it takes energy for deer to paw through snow to get at food.They need browse.On top of that,acorn crops are spotty at best.An early frost can wipe them out.A dry summer can cause them to drop early,like I see happening this year.Furthermore,alot of scorns get ruined by insects and many are rotted out and hollow by the time deer get to eat them.Mast is good but it can't be relied upon to sustain a large deer herd.Deer need several lbs of browse a day to sustain deer for several months each winter.The problem is,most areas simply don't have the ampunt of browse to sustain a large deer herd.especially without causding more damage to the habitat.

What game land did the PGC rape all the oak so that junk started to take over?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
guncHamp,you are not going WAYBACK,LOTS OF DEER WAYBACK...
Look at the doe mortality sudy.Less than 8% of the adult doe are being killed by hunters in the Sproul state forest.The large crews of outlaws you constantly complain about aren't getting the job done.

I've never stated that you have to go way back to kill deer.I kill multiple deer every year in 2G and I rarely shoot a deer more than a 1/2 mile from a road.Usually it's alot closer.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

I'll check the area number and get back to you. I just drove up through State Forest Land tonight. They did an aggressive timbering. The area looks great and they are still not done. The only trees left standing are old spruce trees and a few Oaks, the rest of the junk was clearcut from the area. I hunted the same area 20 years ago and in about 2-3 years that same area will be better than it has ever been in my lifetime. I am happy with what I saw there, but, this was DCNR who I will admit does a helluva better job with the habitat than what I have ever seen the PAGC do. The PAGC is working on food and cover fields adjacent to RT 325- Clarks Valley. This is where they stock Pheasants, the problem is they are investing money that would be more beneficial spent in another location instead of on both sides of a road where traffic travels at an average speed of 75mph. What doesn't get shot of by the hoards of hunters following the stock truck gets killed on the rode that separates this area in half. I road my Mtn bike up to the GAMELANDS tonight which I accessed by traveling through State Forest. Road up to the Food and Cover Plots which are every bit as large in size and very accessible to the PAGC workers and what I saw up there was disappointing. Field filled with nothing but weeds and bordering two sides of the field there were 3 cherry trees each. An area where the wildlife would not be in conflict with traffic and they do very little. An area where there is an imminent chance of wildlife being struck by vehicles and they are limeing, disking, planting, spraying, etc. Makes no sense! Draw the wildlife to an area where they will be killed on the road or worse yet increase the danger to those travelling that route. Another small example of why I think the PAGC sucks at managing what they have.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-27-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
The problem is,most areas simply don't have the ampunt of browse to sustain a large deer herd.especially without causding more damage to the habitat.
I am not expecting to see 15 deer an evening here in Pa like I do almost every evening in Ohio. I am not expecting what we have after decades of irresponsible management practices to support a large deer herd. But now we are at a point where the PAGC missed the mark again. We needed to have more sensible managing of the population years ago, then with Gary ALt the answer became extermination. No middle ground, they either don't do enough or they go too far. Yes, smaller WMU's are needed for a more responsible and accurate measure of herd and habitat health to be made, but that isn't happening because it will cost $ to oversee these new WMU's in terms of Admin as well as WCO's. They put themselves in this situation they are in financially not us hunters whose voices are disregarded every time for the sake of what's in their best interest at that specific point in time. I don't care if the PAGC crumbles and ceases to exist as it is right now, actually... I welcome it!