Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbows in WV

Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crossbows in WV

Does anyone know for sure if they are going to be legal next year for everyone? I am hearing "rumors" from locals but don't have any solid info on what they are doing for sure or not. I went to wvdnr.org but didn't see any new info.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I do not think crossbows will be included, but it should be known soon as the WV 2010-2011 hunting rules are due out any day now (take effect July 1)
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
Does anyone know for sure if they are going to be legal next year for everyone? I am hearing "rumors" from locals but don't have any solid info on what they are doing for sure or not. I went to wvdnr.org but didn't see any new info.
well, howdy neighbor..I'm across the line in Berkeley...
as for crossbows, I haven't heard, and I can't imagine them being made legal for anyone except the current regs( handi-capped sportsman only). I don't think they should be legal for anyone else. a healthy person has his choice betwwen traditional and hi-tech gear already... the newer compounds are killing machines..I can't fathom holding a 70 lb bow at 85% let-off..a man could hold that all day!! didn't have that when I started bowhunting
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well to be honest Im not sure if its a good or bad thing but my opinion about them really doesn't matter much. I was just trying to figure out if they will be made legal. They are now legal in most of the states around us and figure its a matter of time. Like them or not it will change archery season since I think you will see many more folks hit the woods. You may not use one but I'm sure a ton of folks who don't usually archery hunt will start. Hell half the guys I know already take them out in the woods during bow season.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I know this will get flames, but i hope they stay only for use by folks physically unable to handle a vertical bow. If they want to allow them during gun season, that would make sense.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not think there is alot of talk about it. I am a member of the WV hunting forum, and there is no chatter on there at all about legalizing a X-Bow any more than what it already is. But when it comes to WV----WHO KNOWS. There are some guys on the forum who have their finger on the pulse of the DNR, and they have said nothing about it. Tom.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I was just trying to get some info not really debating if the use of them is right or wrong. Fact is that even if you don't use one there willl prob be an obvious change after a few years. Im only about 10 miles from MD and work in MD, they've made it legal this year and I know a bunch of folks that dont bow hunt that will be Xbow hunting. Just the extra amount of folks in the woods is what worries me the most. One of the things I love about bow hunting is how few people are out there compared to gun season.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Ohio...but have a farm in WV. For those of you that think that the use of crossbow will drastically change the number of deer taken, you are mistaken. It really doesn't add many bowhunters...it just changes the weapon that some choose to use. Most states that have legalized crossbows have numbers to back up what I am saying. They've been legal in Ohio for decades. And I'm not making a statement for or against crossbows...just relaying info, so don't think I'm looking for an argument.

That said, they will not be legal in WV for a long time. That would mean that WV would have to pass a progressive hunting law and that will not happen in the near future.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pro-Line

That said, they will not be legal in WV for a long time. That would mean that WV would have to pass a progressive hunting law and that will not happen in the near future.
Man I had a heck of a laugh when I read this. You are absolutely right about what you said. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.