Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear bait!!!

Old 06-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Bear bait!!!

Hey guys, I am looking to buy Doughnuts & Pastry' s for bear bait and need about 20- 55 gallon drums worth, does anyone have a connection in Massachusettes or New Hampshire??
Old 06-30-2003, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Bear bait!!!

Marlin 450-

Not sure how much bear baiting you do but we have had MUCH better success using the bags of Agway feed/grain mix and chinese food restaurant grease mix over the donut/pastry mix in the drums. I can' t remember who we bought the barrels from, it was in RI if I recall, but the bear activity was horrible at the baits we used it on. Some still got hits .. but not nearly as many as the grain and grease ones .. and when we finally quit trying with the donuts and cleaned the rotten stuff out of the barrels and switched mid season to grain and grease EVERY barrel was hit better.

It may have been we got 12 barrels of rotten donuts .. but I think it is because they had good natural feed choices last year and choose natural over rotten donuts ... but they choose grain and grease over natural which IMHO makes a better bait. Plus it is much easier to get.

I' ll ask my friend if he remembers where in RI we got the barrels though.

What state are you going to be hunting?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:41 PM

MA Jay, I have tried just about everything, including grain and grease, but in my area of Maine, they are big on doughnuts and pastries.
I am looking for approximatly 20- 55 gallon drums.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

hey marlin
i just got back from quebec canada on a bear hunt and they used regular buckets with straps againnst the trees and boy did they work and he used some kfc with gravey andsome molassis with some horse feed and grain and waited for them to get hard so it is not so easy for the bears to eat it quickly
Old 07-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

try bagged dog food with dollar store syrup and some vanilla extract.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:50 AM

i' ve had the best luck w/ doughnuts & sweets (hostess, etc.)
Old 07-28-2003, 02:39 PM

eru0817, I could not agree with you more!!
I would buy a tractor trailer load of doughnuts if someone was looking to make a little extra cash every year so they could maybe afford to take that hunting trip they have been wanting to go on for so long...HINT!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 03:22 PM

I haven' t forgotten about you Marlin. The place we bought the donuts/pastry drums last year in RI isn' t selling this year. I asked my Maine Guide friend if he knows where to get some ..he hasn' t responded yet.

As far as restaurant scraps .. I live in Waltham and noticed a guy loading boxes of frozen " something" , he said he pays the dishwashers $5 bucks a box of frozen scaps for bear bait .. each box has to weigh at least 30lbs. 1 restaurant is an Indian the other is Spanish.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:33 PM

MA Jay, thanks for trying!!
I have a few avenues that I am working on and I do have about 15 barrels so far, but I dont want to run out!!!
Meat scraps are more for Spring Bear hunting when they are coming out of hibernation and need protein, they will tear that stuff up, but fat building stuff like pastries, doughnuts and good ole junk food snack cakes seem to hold them on the baits better and fatten them up quicker.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:05 PM

Man...I think i' m going to have to start buying mine too. We used to get all of ours for free, and then someone squeeled on us. So, that dried up. We just froze a ton that may get us thru the season.

Quick Reply: Bear bait!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.