Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY Gobbler season >

NY Gobbler season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Gobbler season

Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default NY Gobbler season

I scouted last weekend at my spots in Orange county and I heard birds gobbling where they traditionally have been, so tomorrow will be easy right?....I've been down this road enough times to know that when the season starts things don't always go as planned...
Good luck...AND BE SAFE....to everyone who is heading out tomorrow or anytime throughout the season.
Keep us posted on how you are making out...good or bad...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
G92
Fork Horn

amen to that.good luck everyone
Old 05-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Spike

I didn't have luck today, but tomorrow is another day.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Spike

I heard 3 different gobblers together on the roost, but they went the other way when they flew down. They were in the field and I was in the woods so I knew it was going to be tough to get them to come back to take a look at an unseen "hen".
They were shock gobbling at the crows but they wouldn't come to my calls so I moved through the woods to about where they were roosted and made one series of soft yelps. They responded imediately, but were still 100 yds. or so away (I still haven't seen them). I went silent and the next time I heard them they were about 50 yds. away, but just on the other side of the thick brush separating the woods and the field.
I tried to coax them into the woods for a look at the "hen", but they wouldn't come any further.
No bird, but it was a great turkey hunt!! Back out tomorrow...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son & I setup on 6 or 7 toms gobbling on roost. I did some light tree yelps & clucks just to let'em know a hen was near. About 1/2hr in couple were answering me ever so slowly coming. Rest group went away to next property over. Heard someone shoot on that property, and all went quiet. Waited aorund for another 20mins, to see if ones had coming still made their way. Nope Game over. Went to another location, hunted there to 10:30a, alot sign. Tried to locate w/crow calls. No luck, too warm.
Sun. morning 1 tom gobbling on roost, he flew down, and never made another sound. No idea where he went. Again seemed way to warm, hunted to 8:30a and was sweating in a long sleeve T.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Spike

I went out Sat and Sun, lots of gobbling on Sat, nothing on Sun.

Does anyone here stalk turkey? Why? I sit in a blind and I don't move. Seem more effective and safer. I'm glad neither on of these two was killed the one guy shot at movement over 50 yards away from him, I hope he stays at home the rest of the season.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunters that shoot at just movement have NO business hunting, much less handling a firearm. Stalking is a no no in the turkey woods. I do move looking for a tom using locator calls, then setup once I locate one, and attempt to call in. Alot of good turkey hunters use that technique.