Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA spring gobbler >

PA spring gobbler

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA spring gobbler

Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default PA spring gobbler

when does it start, in cambria county?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

same everywhere. May 1st ??????????
Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

..well, GENERALLY May 1 this year, but the "youth" season opened last Sat., did it not??
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

yea, i think you guys are right, im going on saturday then, first time ever. wish me luck
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jr moose 54
yea, i think you guys are right, im going on saturday then, first time ever. wish me luck

........Good luck... Have a great hunt, but please be careful!! Spring gobbler requires a huge amount of caution......
Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

thank you sir.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well how did everyone doo??? I noticed that the gobblers werent talking very much saturday in my area, did anyone else seem to notice a low number of gobbles? I heard 3 gobbles all day from pre-dawn until i shot my bird at 11....I wonder if the full moon and hot weather had something to do with this or perhaps that the toms have been strutting and gobbling for a month now and maybe they have already mated or are just henned up... Everyone i spoke with that was out in SW PA seemed to have the same report with minimal gobbles all day.

Anyway my buddy and I had a slow start with only one response off the roost to an owl hoot. We tried running and gunning them for the morning with going to a few different spots that have produced in the past and trying to locate birds and even sat and called for a bit. At 9AM we were ready to head in as the weather was extremely warm, we got about halfway back to the truck and i gave a few yelps and was immediately cut off by 2 gobbles coming from the field in which we entered the woods from my uncles farm, figures we walked all that way when we could have stayed close to the vehicle and saw birds....Long story short we made a move and circled wide around the birds and we split up, one on each side of the field. The birds wanted nothing to do with my calling and simply kept feeding in the field w their hen. Eventually we began the stalk (yes we wore our orange like some choose to leave off) eventually i got within 50 yds and waited for my buddy to close in, as he was almost in shooting range i must ahve moved a bit or something and the birds turned and ran right to my buddy and he dropped one, as soon as his bird fell the other took to the air and flew right past me and i was able to fold him in flight.....turns out both were jakes, mine sported a 5 1/2 inch beard and his sported a 4 inch beard...all in all a nice hunt....now its time to break out the vid cam and film
Old 05-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

TURKEYS WERE calling good here in clinton county on sat.problem is 2 gobblers and 30 hunters and most using crow/owl calls.

what a circus to hear.way you should hunt gobblers is to find the hens and just pattern a hen.too much calling being done now.

like me , i saw hen and know where she is feeding.i will sit in that spot not calling for the entire season.
sooner or later gobbler will come by.my brother saw 2 jakes but we only hunt ole gobblers .

almost all turkeys i saw killed were small jake turkeys under 2 years old.privateland is where almost all turkeys were killed on saturday.publicland is zoo anymore too hunt.........
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DoubleLung55
Well how did everyone doo??? I noticed that the gobblers werent talking very much saturday in my area, did anyone else seem to notice a low number of gobbles? I heard 3 gobbles all day from pre-dawn until i shot my bird at 11....I wonder if the full moon and hot weather had something to do with this or perhaps that the toms have been strutting and gobbling for a month now and maybe they have already mated or are just henned up... Everyone i spoke with that was out in SW PA seemed to have the same report with minimal gobbles all day.

Anyway my buddy and I had a slow start with only one response off the roost to an owl hoot. We tried running and gunning them for the morning with going to a few different spots that have produced in the past and trying to locate birds and even sat and called for a bit. At 9AM we were ready to head in as the weather was extremely warm, we got about halfway back to the truck and i gave a few yelps and was immediately cut off by 2 gobbles coming from the field in which we entered the woods from my uncles farm, figures we walked all that way when we could have stayed close to the vehicle and saw birds....Long story short we made a move and circled wide around the birds and we split up, one on each side of the field. The birds wanted nothing to do with my calling and simply kept feeding in the field w their hen. Eventually we began the stalk (yes we wore our orange like some choose to leave off) eventually i got within 50 yds and waited for my buddy to close in, as he was almost in shooting range i must ahve moved a bit or something and the birds turned and ran right to my buddy and he dropped one, as soon as his bird fell the other took to the air and flew right past me and i was able to fold him in flight.....turns out both were jakes, mine sported a 5 1/2 inch beard and his sported a 4 inch beard...all in all a nice hunt....now its time to break out the vid cam and film
I hate to turn into the internet police but stalking turkeys in the spring is not only dangerous and inconsiderate,it's also illegal.Hunting in the spring is by calling only and you broke the law,plain and simple.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Doug
Stalking - That is a surprise while I agree about stalking as it can be dangerous. I ddid know PA outlawed it.

So I tried to read the PA game laws - maybe you can point me in the right direction as I can't find the reg dealing with stalking of turkeys.

Thanks
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.