Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
pa deer roadkill >

pa deer roadkill

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa deer roadkill

Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862
What I find amazing is with all the draconian HR that drove Pa to be voted the worst deer state in the nation, how can we be #1 in auto/deer collisions so many years in a row? One would think it would take a huge population of deer to maintain that ranking.

It does Pats, It does. And just as PA has reduced their herd, so are most others trying to accomplish the same thing. Ohio DNR just recently declared herd reduction as their primary goal. PA doesn't stand out alone on any of this any more. Gary Alt had his faults but he basically broke trail for wildlife management agencies all over.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

...lol. Wrong.

Ohio has been measuring beam diameter of bucks to determine herd health LONG before Alt came onto the scene. lmao.

Also might wanna check out the deer populations of Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi etc.. All higher deer estimates than ours yet fewer collissions.

Or you may wanna check Texas, who's deer herd is measure in MILLIONS not one million! lol. And still...rated lower in collissions.

You guys are funny. Say just about anything to support the failed deer plan. Dr. Alt would be proud!

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-28-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

i would assume that out of state hunters will not be increasing going to ohio in future if they follow our DEER PLAN unless they start selling camps or land.
not to get off subject too much.

THIS IS WORST YEAR SO FAR I HAVE SEEN AT FEEDERS,SOME NO DEER OTHERS 2 DEER.

i cant put out my trail cameras as they are stealing them and salt licks too.i broke my salt licks up this year.i feel its SOME out of towners in camps doing this.its amazing to me how they find things.

i guess us locals dont look around too much.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

"would assume that out of state hunters will not be increasing going to ohio in future if they follow our DEER PLAN"

They arent. You can point to a few basic concepts of any states deer plan and find minor meaningless similarities. Its the extreme differences that are the problem, and those are the things most normal states want nothing to do with.

Ohio, nor anyone else will be following Pa's "lead" down the garden path anytime soon. lol. Dont think "deer wars", lawsuits, legislative intervention, and wearing bullet proof vests are on their "things to do" lists. lol.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just a few links that all state that Ohio wildlife managers want to reduce it's herd down from the present 700,000 animals

http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/in...arge_says.html

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News...-RELEASED.aspx

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...S.html?sid=101

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/200...s_propose.html
Old 02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

....Oh brother.

Please show me one state...any state.. That wants herd to grow continuously and stay in "hi" or herd increase mode, forever? How is the need to keep a herd at or under a certain level any different anywhere in the nation? Thats a rock bottom basic of deer management and hardly anything new or anyting pgc patented. lmao.

Forget they dont have anything resembling the nonsense going on here...but since they are keeping the herd in line like all the other states attempt to do, that makes them our virtual twin?

Boy i tell ya. Its gettin' deep fellas.