Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Eastern Forests Are Growing Faster >

Eastern Forests Are Growing Faster

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Eastern Forests Are Growing Faster

Old 02-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you trying to say that an industry that employs 100,000+ and owns much of the land where we hunt should just let their preferred forest species disappear and just go back to raising deer in quantity so you can shoot your spike each year?
No, I am saying that if DCNR and the forestry industry want to force their land to regenerate in oak, then they should spend the money required to manage their forests so they get the desired results, instead of just reducing the herd statewide.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of that can applied to Pa as well.It's no secret that oak needs some advanced regeneration and both ethe PGC and DCNR do a good job managing for those conditions
The DCNR does not do a good job of getting advanced oak regeneration and they admit it in their browse study and DMAP enrollment reports where they state that they have severe problems dealing with competing vegetation.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DougE
No one said it was.It doesn't matter though,the area inside the fence regenerated because it wasn't being browsed.The outside did not fail because of soil,competing vegitation,lack of light or acid rain.It failed because the deer browsed it all.That's what happens when you have poor habitat in the surrounding area.
No, it didn't fail because the deer browsed it all. It failed because the deer browsed what was left which, suggest that their are other factors at play.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Maverick 1
No, it didn't fail because the deer browsed it all. It failed because the deer browsed what was left which, suggest that their are other factors at play.

Maybe that photo should be explained more thoroughly.....

Inside fence, no deer
Outside fence, deer

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that all other factors are equall. Same canopy, same soil type , same climate, same amount of acid rain, etc etc etc ........

This is your chance to show us what you know about forestry Maverick. What "other factors" could there be?

I suppose that fence would keep bears and mountain lions out too
Old 02-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tony_Loyd
If you got less deer and they are only targeting the hardwood sprouts what is the forest going to be mainly consisted of?
Junk trees and shrubs.
You let these grow and they will block the sun that is needed for plant life.
Now you got more fast growing maples than you ever had before.
Now tell me this?
How do you plan on getting rid of the over abundance and dominant species of maples if the deer herd is reduced so much that they can now be picky about what they eat because there is no competiton over the best browse?
The maples will continue to grow without any predation on that plant from the deer and the target species now is the hardwoods and the junk trees get to grow and choke out the rest of the forest floor.

I allready told douge that and he cant understand it.
I fully understand all of that Tony.One of the main reasons we have as much maple as we do is because we suppressed forest fires for much of the 20th century.Oak needs special treatments in order to get it to regenerate.You seem to have been in TL when the dog,I mean mountain lion tracks were discovered.If you live there,I can show you example of example of areas that have decent oak regeneration and show exactly why.I can also show you areas that failed to regenerate the oak and explain exactly why.Oak is just one component of the forest.In fact,oak isn't one of the primary components in the majority of forests in Pa.Presently only about 40% of our forests are oak/hickory.Many areas are northern hardwood stands and simply don't have oak.Trying to get oak to grow their would be a waste of time.

None of that changes the fact that the existing habitat can only support so mnay deer without further damage.One the habitat gets as poor as it is in many places,it takes far less deer to continue to have an impact on it.You seem to think that nothing will frow under a closed canopy.That simply isn't true.There are many species that do just fine under a closed canopy.It just so happens that oak isn't one of them.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The DCNR does not do a good job of getting advanced oak regeneration and they admit it in their browse study and DMAP enrollment reports where they state that they have severe problems dealing with competing vegetation.

You're wrong.I can show wuite a few areas where the advanced oak regeneration is just fine.They have a very hard time getting it in the lower elevations where the deer migrate to during bad winters.If they fence these areas or if the winters are mild,the deer spread out and use more of the available habitat,allowing those areas to regenerate.When we have just one or two bad winters following a timber sale or sheltwood cut,the cuts on the high ridgtops don't get toched and they regenerate just fine.The areas in the lowlands get hammered unless their fenced.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Maverick 1

You guys are in such denial it's ridiculous.THAT ENTIRE AREA WAS CUT AND HALF WAS FENCED.BOTH SIDE RECIEVED THE SAME AMOUNT OF WATER,LIGHT AND ACID RAIN.The only thing the unfenced side had that the fenced side did not have was deer.It's that simple and there's hundreds of areas just like that which proves without any doubt how much of a limiting factor the deer are.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
No, I am saying that if DCNR and the forestry industry want to force their land to regenerate in oak, then they should spend the money required to manage their forests so they get the desired results, instead of just reducing the herd statewide.
They only try to get oak regeneration where there's already an overstory of oak.They spray invasive species,do shelterwood cuts and fence the deer out where appropriate.They spend millions trying to regenerate the existing canopy of oak where appropriate.Their only solution is not just reducing the deer herd.That's one component and by you saying that they only reduce the herd is a flat out lie.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is your chance to show us what you know about forestry Maverick. What "other factors" could there be?
The small size of the cut outside the fenced guaranteed that nothing would grow. The vegetation in the exclosure attracted deer from the surrounding area resulting in a DD much higher than normal which in turn resulted in severe over browsing. Therefore , the results are not indicative of what would happen if you had a much larger cut that wasn't fenced.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Their only solution is not just reducing the deer herd.That's one component and by you saying that they only reduce the herd is a flat out lie.
The DCNR admits in the DMAP report that they don't have the resources to spray to control invasive species and therefore they rely on reducing the deer herd to ridiculously low DD so they can get the regeneration they prefer.

There are many species that do just fine under a closed canopy.It just so happens that oak isn't one of them.
And those species that survive under a closed canopy then become part of the competing vegetation that limits oak regeneration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.