Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Who is this Boop PGC >

Who is this Boop PGC

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Who is this Boop PGC

Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

Doug says "They need to be controlled kinda like multiflora rose."
I like multiflora rose. Good cover & winter browse. Good small game cover too. I personally am not concerned with a pristine presettlement condition forest. I have no problem with "non-natives" if they are beneficial. Some think they shouldnt be permitted to exist in the state at all. Guess its just a matter of values. A farmer may not want it overgrowing a right of way or fencerow. Understandable in that instance i guess.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
"How is DCNR less "independent"

They use state funding. That comes with more 'strings" attached and more direct oversight.

The chain of command would be more direct from top to bottom.

Though as i said, i dont support it, no moreso than i do our current situation, so dont know why you'd even want me to debate the issue. I dont support it. Its not the option i choose.

And what do you suppose will be the chain of command when/if the PGC is made less independent? You complain about the lack of hunter voice. Every possible option gets worse if the PGC is forced to take public money or worse yet, become absorbed of some "one size fits all" agency.

Hunters need to step up and provide the necessary funding and keep hammering away at changes they want within the current system. None of the plausible changes in the structure are going to put hunters in a better position. It's like scrapping your truck when it needs a tune up.

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 01-28-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: punctuation and typos
Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
And what do you suppose will be the chain of command when/if the PGC is made less independent? You complain about the lack of hunter voice. Every possible option gets worse if the PGC is forced to take public money or worse yet, become absorbed of some "one size fits all" agency.
Yes, we don't need any more fringe groups bending the ear of the ones controlling the purse strings. The farther away from hunter dollars the easier it will get.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

Btb says:"And what do you suppose will be the chain of command when/if the PGC is made less independent?"
I dont want them "less independent" than they already are. thats why i dont support alternate funding for game management. IF they WERE any less independent, then they may as well not exist and might as well be dcnr.

"Hunters need to step up and provide the necessary funding and keep hammering away at changes they want within the current system."
Nothing wrong with overhauling the system, or adding to it. They could be just as "independent" but many problems like funding now and into the future would be addressed. So could hunter input be. Hunters shouldnt need to "hammer away" to this current ridiculous extent, also with funding being granted, we are completely handing away the "hammer."

Other problems... the boc selection process is not a good one, also the funding system as you'll probably agree is a joke, though we probably think so for slightly differing reasons. One thing I'll agree, pgc shouldnt have to beg for money every decade and make cuts etc.. One day it might not even be possible.. But under current system, its the ONLY way.

That all would have very simple widely acceptable fix.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Corn, we agree on more than we disagree.

we agree that the selection process stinks

we agree that the BOC is often non responsive

we agree that we dont want outside money to take away what say we do have.

It seems that our main difference (other than how many deer there oughtta be) is what's liable to happen while we wait for a fee increase. If I'm right, we start down the slippery slope to less influence for hunters. If you're right, we may not get better influence but it also wont get worse any time soon.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
I like multiflora rose. Good cover & winter browse. Good small game cover too. I personally am not concerned with a pristine presettlement condition forest. I have no problem with "non-natives" if they are beneficial. Some think they shouldnt be permitted to exist in the state at all. Guess its just a matter of values. A farmer may not want it overgrowing a right of way or fencerow. Understandable in that instance i guess.
Some multiflora is good and the same is true of Autum olive.The problem is,they can easily take off and take over an area.It's not a sin to try and limit the amount of area it takes over.

When I was a kid,we had an old cow pasture behind our house that had quite a bit of multiflora rose.By the time I graduated from high school,it was flat out impossible to walk through.We had a couple of productive stands along the edge that would look into some open areas in the middle of the pasture.Eventually,it got to the point that it was impossible to see anything moving through.It doesn't really matter though.The big warehouse they put in took care of the multiflora.

Last edited by DougE; 01-28-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Corn, we agree on more than we disagree.

we agree that the selection process stinks

we agree that the BOC is often non responsive

we agree that we dont want outside money to take away what say we do have.

It seems that our main difference (other than how many deer there oughtta be) is what's liable to happen while we wait for a fee increase. If I'm right, we start down the slippery slope to less influence for hunters. If you're right, we may not get better influence but it also wont get worse any time soon.
I think the selection process is a joke as well.I think it would be just as bad of a joke if hunters were allowed to vote them in.There has to be a better way but I don't know what it is.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is Devlin's response to Commissioners Boop's motion to limit the issuance of DMAP tags on public land.
""It is disturbing to see six of the eight Pa. Game Commissioners' deer management decisions shaped by disgruntled hunter emotions rather than the science-based recommendations of their biologists and foresters. Our recommendations and support of the PGC deer management program always have been based solely on the latter, and in conjunction with what our foresters are seeing in the state forestlands they manage.

"This strong move away from concurrent seasons on much of the center of the state flies in the face of previously stated PGC deer management objectives. The areas where hunters are seeing few deer also are the areas where we are seeing little forest regeneration, which begs the question -- where are more deer going to find more food?

"DMAP is our most effective tool in steering hunters to areas where we have too many deer and too little forest regeneration. If our DMAP allocations on state park or forestland raise questions among some commissioners, I gladly would have addressed them when I testified Monday before the commissioners. The stance that we should accelerate timber harvesting and begin installing food plots on state forestlands to justify DMAP allocations seems to run contrary to the very intent of the DMAP effort.

"We are meeting or exceeding our timber-harvest goals over the past three years. Our current harvesting is 14,000 acres/yr. across the state forest system."

Since when is DCNR managing SFL for grouse, wood**** and snowshoes?

""But it is not about timber or deer; it is about habitat conditions for many other wildlife species, such as snowshoe hares, grouse, wild turkeys, wood**** and many other birds."
Old 01-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Btb says: "It seems that our main difference (other than how many deer there oughtta be) is what's liable to happen while we wait for a fee increase. If I'm right, we start down the slippery slope to less influence for hunters. If you're right, we may not get better influence but it also wont get worse any time soon."
I can respect that btb.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

yippie!!!!Bluebird is back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.