Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
My experiences with the PGC( Why I hate them today) >

My experiences with the PGC( Why I hate them today)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

My experiences with the PGC( Why I hate them today)

Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My experiences with the PGC( Why I hate them today)

I've mentioned these things before, just revisting them for those that haven't heard of them before.

Back in late October 1988, I went out to video tape some deer. I had just bought a VHS video camera and want to film some deer. They were just new out on the market back then.

My deer tag was already filled earlier in the archery season. Being the kind of guy that like being in the outdoors, I wanted to get out there with my new camera.

I was in western Greene Co. I just parked in the pull off along Rt21 and was walking down hill through a field to the woods.

I heard someone yell behind me and turned to see a dark green Jeep Cherokee parked beside my vehicle. I was approx. 100 yds away. A uniformed guy stepped out and motioned for me to come back to him.

As I walked back up the hill, another uniformed person stepped out of the vehicle. I'm not sure if they were deputy PGC or what but they did identify themselves as PGC.

When I approached they ask what I was up to. I raised my camera and told them I was going to try to film some deer. I had no weapon on me but I was dressed in camo. I was wearing my hunting jacket and pants.

They wanted to check my hunting license on my back. I let them check it. To me, it shouldn't of mattered who's license was on my back, because I wasn't hunting. I could have been wearing my father's or brother's jacket, or even my grandmother's jacket and it should not have mattered, I wasn't hunting. I remained polite, though.

They then proceeded to grill me about what I was doing, where I was going, where I came from, why I wanted to film deer...etc.
I was getting a little aggrevated with the interrogation but still remained polite.

They then wanted to see my camera. I had just recently bought it and it was very expensive to me. I handed them the camera, although I was not comfortable doing so. They proceeded to push all the buttons not even realizing what they were doing. They eventually found out how to eject the tape and pulled it out. One officer held it up toward the sun to look at it for some reason, and then turned and smiled at the other officer. They then both looked at me for a reaction.

I feel they were trying to provoke me. I think they thought that holding it up to the sunlight would damage the film like 35mm film or something. Just the way they did it and looked at me for a reaction with a smirk on their faces.

Anyway after a few more questions and not getting a reaction out of me, they decided to go. As they left, I stood there feeling almost violated. I knew I was being provoked and it angered me that they took an expensive piece of equipment and just started pushing buttons not knowing if they were damaging anything or not

In another instance, early 80's, I had a buddy that was 16 at the time. He had killed a doe in doe season. It was his first deer.

He was back at the vehicle, telling the story to his friends, when the PGC pulled up. The two officers got out and checked his deer and everyone's license. My buddy had originally written the wrong date on the tag (one day earlier) and realized his mistake and changed the date.

The two PGC officers saw the date change and proceeded to interrogate him. He explained what happened but they accused him of reusing his tag after killing a buck. They told him he was going to get a fine and to just admit it and the fine would be less.

Our other buddies chimed in, try to explain to the officers that this was the kids first deer and in his excitment he had written the wrong date.

They even pointed out on the tag, where you could still see the previously written date. (that was only the day before not back in buck season) They went on to explain that the previous date was Sunday and if he were poaching another deer, why would he bother to tag it to begin with, let alone write it in as a Sunday.

They had the kid in tears. (not easy for a 16 year old in front of his friends) Eventually they left. To this day, the guy doesn't hunt. Have to wonder if his experience of that first deer had anything to do with it.

I have other stories but will wait to see if there is any interest in this thread, first.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

WW, you mention west greene and in that time frame i believe i know EXACTLY who you dealt with. He was known as a first class Ahole around the area, and was well known for it. He left this area awhile back, heard it was because of an excessive amount of death threats etc. Or pgc just figured after all the complaints they recieved about him etc. it was time to put him in a new environment and torment others for awhile.

I had one bad experience with him where we were guilty of nothing and didnt get fined, arrested or anything, but was a VERY distasteful experience and did get threatened, shown field citations, and spoken to VERY inappropriatedly and unprofessionally. Guy had severe attitude problems, arrogant as any man id ever met, and tried to accuse us of everything from road hunting to taking my ex by herself where she could be grilled alone, about shooting one or both of the deer we had in the vehicle,(she had no license and just went along to go with me) then when that didnt pan out, told her i said she was a good deer driver! And said he knew she drove me and my bud the deer!!

Anyway, this took quite some time and alot of inappropriateness occurred and could write an extremely long post detailing every detail, but will just sum it up by saying i dont think most wcos are bad, and i dont hate pgc because of that experience. The guy was a disgrace to the badge and Ive spoken with many before and since who've agreed. The guy had a helluva reputation here. Ive even discussed the guy years ago on hpa. Had a known pgc butt kiss over there doubt my story. He said who was it, put up of shut up in a pm. I told him. He got back to me and said....Oh. Ok, I have heard some things about him.

Anyway, Ive been checked a few times in Greene & up in Fayette mountains one year bear hunting since by others. The guys were very professional and courteous, no attitudes and no problems.

The only problem i have with pgc is the ridiculous deer plan and the "types" they have running the show & calling the shots currently.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see why someone would hate an entire organization because of two instances.I had the same punk deputy give me a hard time twice during the mid 90's.I also had a WCO give me a hard time for not having a valid drivers lisence on me.I had an expired lisence in my holder which apparently is not considered valid.regardless,I've had dozens of other encounters by other PGC employees that went just fine.I can't see hating an organization because of a couple people.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

THEIR only interest is to cause you to get fined for anything/something...that's it..they need the cash and they don't care how or why they get it..too bad, it used to be honorable.....
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

Doug, As i said, i didnt hate the agency. Actual still dont. Hate is a strong word. I hate the failed deer plan and what its based upon. That incident happened going by memory around 20 years ago. Up until shortly after the "changing of the guard", I supported pgc for the mostpart as an organization before and since the incident i spoke of, in fact argued adamently FOR the deer plan on hpa for some time against bt, that is until the ridiculous of the plan really started to shine.

Last edited by solocamcan; 01-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Yeah, that extremely funny gino. Might be your most asnine post yet. Just shows how far out of your way you'll go to defend the greed commission. Cant discuss anything without you attempting to do ridiculous damage control. Guess you think every single one of the 800+ pgc employees are saints and none of them could NEVER do anything wrong. You want details that Ive not given or "conveniently left out"? Feel free to pm me and will tell you anything you want to know including the name of the idiot. Otherwise shut your pie hole.

Doug, As i said, i didnt hate the agency. Actual still dont. Hate is a strong word. I hate the failed deer plan and what its based upon. That incident happened going by memory around 20 years ago. I supported pgc for the mostpart as an organization before and since. Up until shortly after the "changing of the guard".
We were posting at the same time apparently.Nothing I said was directed at you.Like I said,I also had a couple of experiences that were less than professional.A couple people with personality defects doesn't define an entire agency.The one WCO that kind of irritated me is still around but not a full time WCO.I had an off duty converstion with that same individual last year and still walked away with a bad taste in my mouth,even though I was giving this person credit for doing a good job.This individual is actually very good in the capacity asigned but has the personality of a rock.I honestly thought maybe it was just me but the person's co-workers confirmed that pleasantness,if that's even a word,it one of that persons best traits.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you have an organization that hires people like that, defends people like that, and refuses to penalize people like that, it kinda makes you wonder about the organization as a whole.

If you go into any store, restaraunt or business in general and have several bad expereiences with the staff. You can't walk away and say that you like that store, restaraunt or business.

I've had more experiences;

Growing up, my family had some family friends. The one guy, Tim, had a brother that was a deputy PGC.

Tim invited my father and I to go pheasant hunting for the first day of small game. Tim's brother was going to show us where they stocked pheasants.

We arrived early (start time was 9AM then) and could hear pheasants cackling everywhere. Tim's brother, the deputy PGC, arrived there to point out were birds were released. He was dressed in an orange one piece outfit with his uniform underneath.

As we waited, a couple vehicles would stop and park. As hunters got out to get ready, Tim's brother would say, "Watch this!".

He'd wlk over and unzip his outfit so the hunters could see his uniform. He'd badger and interrogate the hunters, check for loaded guns and look through the vehicles. He'd be rude and confrontational. He would badger them untill they'd just leave.

He got to the point that as vehicles pulled in he wouldn't even let them get out before he'd put on his show. He did it so we would have the place to ourselves and to show off. he liked flexing his authority.

Even though I was young, I knew what he was doing wasn't right. I remember feeling bad for the other hunters and actually felt myself not liking Tim's brother. I was 15 at the time.

Seems like experiences like mine happen all too aften to so many people. You have to wonder about any organization that keeps employees like that and will go to great lengths to defend them.

If you worked for any other business and treated customers like that, what would happen?

Last edited by Windwalker7; 01-13-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think experiences like you had are not the norm.I've had a state cop or two be rude to me but I don't hate all law enforcemnt or the state police.

I can tell you this,if I saw someone do what you described,I'd be on the phone with a supervisor.I also probably would have let him cite me with something so I could see him in court.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO the PGC an it's employees are the lowest form of life known to mankind.
The once well respected org is now the laughing stock of the nation's wildlife agencies not to mention their funding base...the Pa sportsmen/women
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

I think most hunters today would echo that sentiment. They are so incredibly far removed from being "hunter" oriented right now its absolutely mind-boggling as to how we arrived at this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.