Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Mass Deer Hunters >

Mass Deer Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mass Deer Hunters

Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mass Deer Hunters

I have a question for all the guys and gals that hunted deer in Mass this year. Do you think the heard is expanding, reducing, or staying even. Did you see more deer this year than last. And finally do you think the excessive mast crop had anything to do with your sightings. Please let me know what part of the state you are from.

I will start I hunted mostly in Easton, and the Bridgewaters (S. eastern) Mass. I think I saw more deer this year then last. I think the mast crop kept me from seeing even more deer then a normal year and I think the heard is expanding. (At least in zone 11)
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Spike

Hey Mike , good to see you here chattin(posting) . I hunted Millis and Foxboro this year and I saw a few more deer than last year , but I wouldnt say that it was because of the mast crop. I didnt see any on the oak ridges that I hunt, they were all in the swampy crap . I got a nice 6pt opening day , old deer , 5-6 years old according too the DNR guy at Bass Pro , only weighed 120 dressed .How was your season ?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey NHTEN,
It's been a long time. I haven't been on here in a couple years been busy. I had a great deer season nothing big but plenty. Hunted my place in Maine got a doe. then went down to Ct. shot a small buck and a doe. I got a nice 7 point with the bow. a buck and a doe with the shotgun and a small buck with the muzzle loader. I got pneumonia the last two weeks of the muzzle loader so I didn't get out as much as I would have liked.
It will soon be time for trout and maybe we can get together for some of that. Keep in touch Mike
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted central & southern Berkshire County and saw very few deer... Less sign than normal too.
BUT, my buddies all saw quite a few more deer than me in central & northern Berkshire
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

i will have to say, that i saw alot more deer this year than in years past. i do think that i could of saw more deer but there was so many acorns this year. but thats alright because last year we had absolutely none. i hunt in zone 6 belchertown. i will say though that i didn't see as many scrapes though, but i definitely saw some bucks though. i did get this 10 pointer during bow season 205 pounds 6 years old no teeth at all 30 yard shot.
Attached Thumbnails Mass Deer Hunters-0.jpg  
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice one Big... that is a beauty..
I saw alot of apples & hickory nuts this year... acorns were spotty... but where I found them, there were loads...
Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

I hunt NW Franklin County, where antlerless deer tags are few are far between. Last year (08) we saw many, many deer. Lots of large bucks. Then we had this nasty, once in a lifetime ice storm. The thousands and thousands of downed trees at the higher elevations have changed migration routes and travel patterns. It likely killed a lot of animals as well. With time the deer will learn that it is now terrific escape habitat and I expect the population to rebound. Plus there will be lots of ground level browse from all of the new holes in the tree canopy allowing light to reach the forest floor.

Only an average acorn year in this area.

Wildbill51
www.wildramblings.com
Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last 10 years or so...
SE. NH and NE. Mass

Plenty of deer...!!!
Attached Thumbnails Mass Deer Hunters-dsc03628_email1.jpg   Mass Deer Hunters-dsc03629_email.jpg   Mass Deer Hunters-dsc03632_email.jpg   Mass Deer Hunters-dsc03633_email.jpg   Mass Deer Hunters-dsc03634_email.jpg  

Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice trophies Ed...
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful Trophy Room Ed.
Great looking bucks...I tip my hat to ya!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.