Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: Has herd reduction gone too far in your area of Pa?
YES
67.05%
NO
32.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Pa Hunters Poll

Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Yes, the New Age Environmental extremist conspirators are everywhere, even here. Be careful, be VERY careful....
Well...Let's put it this way. I am very suspicious of who you are.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think you might be taking the conspiracy thing a tad too far, maybe?

What do you think is going to happen if the allocations get cut...concurrent seasons end...bonus tag use eliminated....back to 3 day doe season? You are gonna hear some real bitchin then, from all of the hunters that bitch about no deer but shoot 3 doe and 5 buttons every year. Cut me a break. the vocal minority would want everyone to believe that the majority of PA hunters feel as they do, but you and I and everyone else knows that opinions are fractionized into many facets of viewpoint. Let's all go back to the "good old days" and see how many aren't happy with that either. Selective memory never mirrors reality.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Most want an increase. I might think say 20% increase is appropriate. Another may want 50%. Another 100%.

Heres an idea, do nothing pgc. We cant agree, so why bother? Decrease the herd some more instead as has been the case!

I dont see the logic.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all for banning doe hunting above I-80 for a year to erase the reduction, then curtail concurrent seasons above I-80 indefinitely. How's that? What do you think the public opinion will be? Let's try, shall we. AR would stay as is, of course. We could even increase AR or modify it. I have previously stated my ideas on how to modify it.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Banned

Im open to suggestions which we could realistically expect. A reasonable minimum at the very least for starters.

I think a simple responsible reduction in the allocation across the state, varying the amount of reduction to the allocation according to area. But thats just my opinion. Im shooting for the bottom because the more radicle the changes proposed, the less likely they are to ever happen. The odds arent even good right now for much of anything Let alone sweeping changes and things intended to save a ton of deer all at once.. I look at it is compromise. Also look at it as something very acceptable to all involved considering where we where 10 years ago and where we are now. It also wouldnt compromise their season structure and studies that are based upon them.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by livbucks
Think you might be taking the conspiracy thing a tad too far, maybe?
Nope. Not at all.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

What do you think is going to happen if the allocations get cut...concurrent seasons end...bonus tag use eliminated....back to 3 day doe season? You are gonna hear some real bitchin then, from all of the hunters that bitch about no deer but shoot 3 doe and 5 buttons every year. Cut me a break. the vocal minority would want everyone to believe that the majority of PA hunters feel as they do, but you and I and everyone else knows that opinions are fractionized into many facets of viewpoint. Let's all go back to the "good old days" and see how many aren't happy with that either. Selective memory never mirrors reality.
What makes you so sure there would be so widespread discontent? Is this your opinion?

I am just curious, would you be upset if the allocations were cut, concurrent seasons ended, bonus tag use eliminated and we went back to a 2 day doe season? I know that I wouldn't be upset if all that was to happen. I hunted several years under those conditions and was quite satisfied.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like concurrent seasons. I have always said that. The allocations didn't reduce the herd by itself. Concurrent seasons was the catalyst that burnt the tags more efficiently. I can tell you this though: I never want to go back to the days of seeing 30+ does and fawns a day and maybe 1 forkie per 7 hunters. When I was a kid and would see that, I knew something wasn't right. I always had a strange feeling about the situation but couldn't put my finger on it until years later.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

I'm all for banning doe hunting above I-80 for a year to erase the reduction, then curtail concurrent seasons above I-80 indefinitely. How's that? What do you think the public opinion will be? Let's try, shall we. AR would stay as is, of course. We could even increase AR or modify it. I have previously stated my ideas on how to modify it.
I'm betting you it takes longer than one year. Predation is way up north of 80. Try two or three years, imo. Intersetingly enough some of my neighbors stopped shooting doe entirely 3 years ago. only 2 annuallly taken by my family and an unknown number from the other bordering neighbors...since then, but with about 400 acres of it not having any doe taken at all for 3 years...they show very slight increase...and this is just south of 80. Coyote numbers are high but we're working on it. Habitat is good, lots of recent logging activity, good young red oak regeneration. Good bedding cover, abundant agriculture as well. I can only believe that the NC mountains would take even longer for herd to rebound.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep,lets ruin all the progess we've made in the northcentral part of the state and add more deer to already overbrowsed habitat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.