Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY Opener Deer. Late Post.. >

NY Opener Deer. Late Post..

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Opener Deer. Late Post..

Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default NY Opener Deer. Late Post..

Hey guys. been lazy to post, and i dont got good pics. a buddy of mine took some better pix, but all in all i forgot really to take pics untill we hung them to drain out a little. Well heres the story. Opening morning, i tie a scent drag (old clean sock) with some special golden estrus. i walk through the woods, about 500 yards in, get lost on the way to the tree stand (lol) find my way out of the thick stuff, and find my stand 80 yards further out. I hang my scent pods?(the wicks in the bottle stuff). Now my stand is facing down a mountain. Hear tree ratts all day. something causes me to turn around, no noise or nothing, just.. ahh.. lets take a peek. there he was. 30 yards out, comming straight at me on a bee line, following my scent trail, on his way making lickin branches and a scrape. then.. i see another behing him. a nice 4 pointer. i sloowly try to stand up, and turn around(tree at my back). takes me 10 min to get up and turn around, felt like forever. then.. oncei throw the scope on him, i realize theres 4 deer, one 5 feet behind the other, sniffing my scent trail like CRAZY. 3 point spike big body, 4 pointer, and 5-6 pointer, and doe. im like woah.. since im not a big trophy hunter, unless its a monster ofcourse i picked the biggest body, the 3 point spike. Booom. lung shot, goes 40 yards. I slam another shell with my bolt action Tikka t3 in 30-06 and Boom slam the doe down. in 10 seconds , probably less. i just shot 2 deer. tagged out. now comes the hard part. you know the rest. draggin them bad boys out.
In the picture my deer is the second and third hanging. the first one is a nice 8 shot by my good buddy that took me on this trip. he had 2 does, and that buck on opening day. what a trip. and great fun with all the guys.
Attached Thumbnails NY Opener Deer. Late Post..-deer.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice where was this ?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

Now I know where all the deer went,lol! Congrats!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Nice deer! Did you have a DMP?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

this was in Gilbertsville, NY not too far from sidney/roscoe. yes I had 1 DMP. my buddy had 2. hard to get DMPs in that area but luckily I got it this year. buddy owns land so he pretty much gets it every year, + alot of the guys that dont shoot doe that get the DMP sign them over to us if we want it, but i had one this year. I might be going with the bow tomorro morning here on Longisland. still debating. i HATE hunting alone.. but i just might go for a few hours. anyways. take care folks.
and thanks for the comments.