Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Bowhunting Season in Southern Tier?? >

Bowhunting Season in Southern Tier??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bowhunting Season in Southern Tier??

Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting Season in Southern Tier??

Hello, I used to hunt Westchester County where it was bow only for the whole season. Now I am in Dutchess, and i am confused about what the bowhunting season is. When i go to the DEC, I am not sure if they mean we bowhunters are not allowed to be in the woods during regular season, which sounds weird to me. I do not want to be doing something that is not legal, so now i have turned to this site because i am confused with all the different info I am getting around here. I think we are allowed to be in the woods - from what I have heard - but are not required to wear hunter orange, although if their was a chance in this world i was hunting where there was possible gun hunters, I would where it regardlesss. But my question is, can i bowhunt now, or do i have to wait until December 14th??
Thanks!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 AM
Typical Buck

johnandmare,

In new york you can bow hunt the hole season if you want. The difference is, you have to abide by the rules in whatever season you hunt. Shoot a buck with your bow during gun season, you have to have a gun buck tag to tag it with. And as far as hunter orange, I'm not sure if there is law yet requiring to wear it, but I would have it on the entire time. Plus I have had deer right next to me and never see me with orange anyways.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
johnandmare,

In new york you can bow hunt the hole season if you want. The difference is, you have to abide by the rules in whatever season you hunt. Shoot a buck with your bow during gun season, you have to have a gun buck tag to tag it with.
That's right. You can hunt with your bow in any season, but you can only use your archery tags during those designated seasons. So, until the late archery/muzzleloader season opens up, you'll need to use your regular season tags.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you both very much!!!!