Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Wam bam thanku mam >

Wam bam thanku mam

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wam bam thanku mam

Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

First of all congrats cardeer on your success!! Man that would be nice to have deer numbers like that up this way.. But unfortunately they wouldn't make it threw the winter months up here with numbers that high.. Heck even with our low numbers they have a difficult time making it threw just one winter.. Coyotes and the like have thier toll on them as well as bears and cats.. I have seen the food plots that work OK for them and then some feeders that look to be working great as well. The feeders atract the deer alright but then they are getting run over crossing the roads.. So that would be 2 folded up this way.. Some areas like your might work great but up here it wouldn't do us much good. If the deer are not run over then the yotes will have a feast watching for them to come to the feeders.. So it would be great if the winter deer yards were off limits to wood cutters and the like so the deer can survive better.. Less snow under foot means a better chance of escape from predators and the like.. But then again as you know I am farther north than PA so my input may not mean all that much..
Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cardeeer
By the way I had 27 deer walk thru my yard today, Never fired a shot ,even though the State Government said I should.
If that is what floats your boat, great. Personally, I don't want 27 deer in my yard destroying everything. I don't want to see them standing along the road at night ready to do thousands of dollars worth of damage to my trucks either. I like them just the way they are here in Pa. If I want to see deer, I will go in the woods and look for them. I don't want them to find me. It can cost me alot of money when they do.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Pats you hit the nail on the head, by saying if you want to go see a deer then you will go look for it. I guess cardeer doesnt like a challenge anymore so the deer can come to him. I would rather "work" for my deer. It seems more gratifying to me that way.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Typical Buck

Anyone on here who knows me, knows that I have had my share of "beefs" with the Game Commission....far from their biggest fan, but at the same time, DD of 65-80 dpsm, and front porch hunting isn't exactly my idea of how things should be, either. Unless you are handicapped (or just lazy) why not get off your porch and enjoy bagging a deer on a ridgetop, or down in a swamp. Your land, do what you want...but even if I did have high DD I would still not stay on my porch to hunt. Kinda turns the hunting into just killing. Might as well shoot them from a truck..it's the same damn thing, and that's why they only issue those vehicle permits to the disabled. Hope you have lots of fresh timber cuts on your property for the winter, and supplemental food sources, or you will see winter killls if the snow piles up or crusts over.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Anyone on here who knows me, knows that I have had my share of "beefs" with the Game Commission.

I have beefs also. and my biggest gripe is the size of the WMUs. They should go by each county or smaller. to many areas are getting draged in to HR that don't need it because they are tied in to areas that need it but have limited access.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by aldo88
I guess cardeer doesnt like a challenge anymore so the deer can come to him.
And thats fine. If thats they way he wants to do it, he has every rite to make it happen. What cracks me up is the posts, I killed a deer eat your heart out Pa. A little childish form a guy who claimed to have hunted around world.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by pats102862
I have beefs also. and my biggest gripe is the size of the WMUs. They should go by each county or smaller. to many areas are getting draged in to HR that don't need it because they are tied in to areas that need it but have limited access.
Agreed. I'd also like to see the public land/ private land alloctaions separated. I remember they did it for all of one or two seasons, where your second tag was only good on private land....I really thought that plan had potential....helped stem the slaughter on the public lands. I fact, I wish they would take it a step further and micromanage each public tract...they have already PROVEN they can do it by the DMAP program. It would be easy for each district forester or game lands manager to assess and reccomend a limited number of tags for each SGl or state forest based on their observations working that parcel all year. You would have to specifically apply for a tag for that forest or sgl. All private landowners would recieve tags for their own land, to be divided among their hunters as seen fit. The red tag program already operates this way basically. Also any landowner could also effectively prevent doe harvest on their land by simply not applying for the tags to begin with. I dunno...but it does seem that much more could be done to manage the units more effectively. Ie, Bald Eagle State Forest Tract "A" (From no name rd to Jones township line)- 400 tags....SGL 99- 200 tags..etc
Old 11-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

funny how cardeer won't contribute since we all caught the "hunt from my porch"

typical hunt for you man...what a morning, woke up late, ate breakfast, put a stalk on a buck, had to really ease that door open, for fear he would spook, or wind my burnt toast...glad it all came together from my porch stand

HELLO...you have a problem with "sportsmen" i don't think you shooting a deer from your porch is very "sporting" i thought you hated PA, then the PGC, then PA hunters, man who knows now

no thanks, i will put in the work, driving for men three times my age, seeing a ton of deer (explain 44 deer i saw last night in 2 hours before dark while watching over a cutaway i will be in tomorrow morning), enjoying myself to the fullest, and why?

'Cause that's true huntin' buddy
Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Agreed. I'd also like to see the public land/ private land alloctaions separated. I remember they did it for all of one or two seasons, where your second tag was only good on private land....I really thought that plan had potential....helped stem the slaughter on the public lands. I fact, I wish they would take it a step further and micromanage each public tract...they have already PROVEN they can do it by the DMAP program. It would be easy for each district forester or game lands manager to assess and reccomend a limited number of tags for each SGl or state forest based on their observations working that parcel all year. You would have to specifically apply for a tag for that forest or sgl. All private landowners would recieve tags for their own land, to be divided among their hunters as seen fit. The red tag program already operates this way basically. Also any landowner could also effectively prevent doe harvest on their land by simply not applying for the tags to begin with. I dunno...but it does seem that much more could be done to manage the units more effectively. Ie, Bald Eagle State Forest Tract "A" (From no name rd to Jones township line)- 400 tags....SGL 99- 200 tags..etc
Originally Posted by pats102862
Totally agree we you both. That was my only beef about the "new" deer program day one. A one size fit all format with the WMU's.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Banned

While we dont need to see 30 deer from our porches here in Pa, I dont think it matters much, because we are at the opposite extreme generally speaking.

As i see it, if complete and utter mismanagement were not occurring, this discussion wouldnt even be taking place.

Get the econut arseholes out of the Pennsylvania Game Commission!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.