Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY opening day, who dropped one? >

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Spike

i basically agree. i was gonna include a paragraph about the westchester etc. area. Suburban/urban areas provide cover just by virtue of the houses/no hunting areas etc. I guess the rule of thumb to go by is "big bucks will always be in areas where they can grow up and feel safe"
Old 11-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Well opening weekend of hunting season in NY was a success yet again for me, same stand location 4 deer out of 4 opening weekends in a row, hope my first opening day in PA tomorrow turns out just as well.

Last edited by johnnyc531; 11-29-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
Yes, there are a sh*tload of coyotes in Herkimer County, they need some serious population control. My brother saw one the size of a wolf opening morning. What area of 6r are you in? Anywhere near schuyler or Newport?
Very close by. Near Middleville just east of the West Canada Creek.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck there, & cute kid in the pink coat. congrats!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 4sight
Very close by. Near Middleville just east of the West Canada Creek.
Oh yah... Where abouts? I'm near that airforce area, off of hawthorne..
Old 11-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey johnnyc congrats, what part of the state did you shoot that buck?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

I heard there was a "HUGE" buck shot in waterport, ny. I seen the pic and know the guy so I don't want to post his pic and name. But if someone finds it and please take his name and face out before posting.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting in Westchester, Long Island and a few places closer to the city does not compare to hunting around the heart of the Catskills lets say. How many genuine trophies are killed in the Catskills? Not a heck of a lot when you think of the hunting pressure that region gets. If the genetics were there you would see more big bucks killed. Places like Westchester, Long Island and such don't get much pressure especially from gun hunting so the bucks have a chance to grow. Those who think big bucks could be had anywhere should spend more time hunting away from the suburban terrain and maybe they will start changing their tunes. It's a day and night difference between the two environments. Those in the suburban terrain see deer everyday, while those in more rural terrain may go days without seeing any.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
Places like Westchester, Long Island and such don't get much pressure especially from gun hunting so the bucks have a chance to grow.
completely incorrect, you obviously have never hunted these areas, these deer not only get hammeerd by legal hunters they are relentlessly shot at by night poachers as soon as they come into hard antler. people are constantly jacking deer along the hyways from yonkers on up into westchester too.these are the most pressured deer in the country! The difference between there and the catskills is deer dont have too many places to hide down here. most of the places I hunt in the suburbs are 20 acres or less, they get up out of their beds, you see em, its that simple. the catskills is an enormous place where a deer could easily hide deep in the endless laurals and swamps without ever being seen. like i said earlier just because you dont see big bucks doesnt mean they dont exist ,that is completely rediculous and impossible too prove anyway. are you really gonna suggest that every buck in the more rural areas is killed before it reaches maturity??? Ive also hunted big state land (30k acres) down here which is probably closer to what hunting in the catskills is like, definatly not suburban hunting, its thick dark woods w/ low deer #s. Ive sat for days without seeing anything and certainly nothing big, but Ive found 130" sheds 100yds from the parking area. Ive also seen a few big bucks taken from phonecia,cooperstown, cortland etc. too. That said ,Im kind of curious why anyone would be so bent on thinking no big bucks exsist in some areas, what does pessimism acomplish?

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 11-30-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Getting back to the topic, the rain was good to me again this morning. finally got to shoot somthing w/ my 7-08 that ive been carrying around for 2 seasons. NY opening day, who dropped one?-09-708-doe-007.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.