Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
2009 New York Gun Season >

2009 New York Gun Season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2009 New York Gun Season

Old 11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default 2009 New York Gun Season

As NYers know, gun season is fast approaching. It is looking like a high of 50 with partly cloudy skies and very little chance of rain. With the warm temperatures, do you think deer won't be moving as much? I mean, this bowseason we had a few days hit 65. Its crazy, and im really hoping that that doesnt affect the rut. They're already chasin here, but do you think the warm weather will slow it down? Anyway, good luck on saturday, and i hope to hear here if anyone gets somethin'. Good luck
BigBuck95
Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I am looking forward to gun season in NY as well. I am bowhunting for the first time this year and I am loving it. Does anyone know if you can bow hunt through gun season in NY?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there are does in heat, or close to it, walking around, there will be bucks in tow behind them ,no matter what the temperature. I am a bit bummed by the rain forecast for sunday and mon.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TheMiz54
I am looking forward to gun season in NY as well. I am bowhunting for the first time this year and I am loving it. Does anyone know if you can bow hunt through gun season in NY?
Yes you can.
You can only use your regular season tag and any dmp's you may have.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TheMiz54
sure can, in fact ,there are many public land opportunities that are bow only even during gun season and if you choose to use a bow in gun season, youd be sure to have those areas all to yourself.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Spike

I think it will be a great opening day, weather wise at least compared to last years hurricane i sat through in Chenago county. Also i think that if you do a search for your area 50 is about average for this time of year so it may not be that bad.

Good luck to all.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

The warm weather has tightened things up a bit, but in all I think Saturday's weather will be a ton better than last years tsunami, I was soaked to the bone before I even got to my stand last year. On a good note I will be able to use my 7mm-08 this year. that should be fun.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, last year was rotten...sat through pouring rain all morning long...So this year looks like a dream! Hoping not too much pressure on the land I hunt so these big boys that I've seen will keep on running around after the does...Usually after the 1st day the bucks go nocturnal and hide somewhere and I don't see a buck again...
Old 11-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

Bowhuntin' for the last time this season this pm. See if i can get the 5 pt. i missed opening day. If not, he's made it to gun season, and im out to try to get him. Good luck
BigBuck95
Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Spike

I'm super excited about oppening day!! I didn't get a deer last year, and will be out every chance I get. I have seen a lot of deer, even with the weather being warmer than usual. At least 6 different buck, and they have been chasing lately. I have been watching 4 deer in my back yard (field) this afternoon. 2 doe, and 2 buttons. It's pretty nasty out right now, soaking wet.. Good luck to all, especially in Steuben county ..