Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Missed a big bodied 8 this morning >

Missed a big bodied 8 this morning

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Missed a big bodied 8 this morning

Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Spike

Default Missed a big bodied 8 this morning

Just got in from a morning in the woods in 4G. A good morning that could have been great. It was warm and foggy and at 7:45 a big bodied 8 point came out of the fog straight to me. He made a scrape and went back out to the field edge. I grunted him back in and got a nice broadside shot at 17 yards. I shot right underneath him and saw a bit of white fur fly, my heart sank. I checked my shot and arrow, no blood, fat or flesh so at least I didn't wound him, thank God! He either jumped my string or I clipped a twig or just made a poor shot.
I was after this same deer last year and got a shot on him Nov. 1 2008, 363 days ago. I know, I suck! I'll be back out after him this afternoon but how many chances will I get? 2 shots in 2 years on the same buck............

Last edited by theadmiral518; 10-30-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

That bites. I'll need the exact GPS coordinates and some alone time in there, but I believe I can fix your problem....LOL Just take some target time and get your confidence back up. Then if he comes back, you'll drill him. Those arrows don't spook them very bad. I'd get right on him. At this time of year they can move and change patterns very quickly.....he could be gone for good before you know it...While you know he's still in the area, get back on him. Maybe switch to another tree close by to catch him off guard. If he has a well used scrape or rub line nearby he won't abandon it now...But in a few days to a week or so he will forget about it all together. Got to get him now! JM2C PUll out the bag of tricks...rattling, grunting and scents..Don't hold anything back...even a decoy if you got one. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did that on a 140 class 11 point. I still have a baggie with all the white belly hair that was on the ground. I shaved his belly, but did not so much as nick his skin.
He just walked away with a puzzled look, while I scrambled for another arrow.
He got away.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry you missed but that's part of the game. Your low miss was not likely due to "jumping the string". Deer drop down to pre-load their leg muscles prior to running off...that usually means missing high, not low. Maybe nerves got ya a bit?! Just get him next time.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! I'm not too discouraged, i love the thrill of the hunt, putting one down is a bonus.
bugsnbows you're dead on. Jumping the string would have results in a shot over the back, maybe it was some buck fever.
I'll be back on him this weekend, I'll update this post if I have another sighting or shot. Good luck guys, I'll be shooting after work to figure out if it was equipment (probably not) or nerves.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely you were excited and failed to be at full draw. Being short of full draw by even a half inch will make you undershoot your target badly.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry about the end result theadmiral518,but it ain't over til the fat lady sings. You still might get another crack at him.

livebucks has a good point,do to the excitement you may have not made full draw. Or another common mistake is the archer dropping his bow arm at the time of release trying to follow the impact of the arrow.

Screamin Steel Got to get him now! JM2C PUll out the bag of tricks...rattling, grunting and scents..Don't hold anything back...even a decoy if you got one. Good luck!
Love that attitude! No holding back. Whatever it takes. Time to let it all hang out and hopefully bag that big boy.
Good luck! theadmiral
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sucks.. .makes you sick... literally.. i feel sick for you... happens to us all though!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

It happens. The other day, I missed a 10 yard chip shot at a 6 pointer standing on a logging road with not a twig between me and him. To make matters worse, I overshot him, and he jumped a few yards closer, then walked back to the mock scrape and I missed him AGAIN!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Spike

OMG ManySpurs how do u get over that 1,,, I would hit the jack bottle hard that night LOL, I'm new to bow hunting, picked it up 2years ago.. Just got my first kill last friday. Doe was about 19yards.. Cant wait til i see my first buck in kill range. I just hope that i have beginners luck lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.