Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

'09 PA Buck

Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default '09 PA Buck

Arrowed this guy this past saturday evening. He came in to a couple soft doe bleats.

I don't know much about judging a bucks age by their teeth, and a little about judging there age by their body structure and wear on their feet - Long story short, i am having trouble judging the age of this deer...Any guesses? a run of the mill 2.5yr old or an older deer with a lackluster rack?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

>wear on their feet

That's a new one for me.

Where in PA? That could also be an 18 month old buck as well. I thought yearling when I first saw the picture.

WV Gino
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not saying i couldnt be wrong but i highly doubt thats a 1.5yr old buck (southcentral pa). A typical 1.5yr old looks something like this

Note the shorty nose and overall the stubby apperance of the deer compared to the much longer sleeker look of this years buck (and yes that deer was shot in 2000 long before ARs so don't start flaming me).
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

well....you certainly look smarter in pic #2. lol j/k

ide say a 2.5 year old. nice job btw
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck! He does look like an older deer....with that face anyway...
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Title thief!

Nice buck.
I'm not real good at aging them either. Looks big bodied though.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

how do you judge deer by wear on the feet? that is certianly new to me...i would say he is only 2.5

congratulations btw
Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I first learned of aging deer by their feet/track from an old taped seminar one of the Benoit's did a number of years ago. They went into great detail about how the overall width and shape of a deer's foot changes with its body structure as it ages. Seems to me it could be pretty subjective but they always found the big bucks just by their tracks so i figure they must be a little something to it. Its really interesting stuff, i will have to see if i can dig it up.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice Buck Patrophyman!

It's really hard to tell from a pic but what you've told us about the area you're hunting, his rack, and the length of his face makes me lean toward 2 1/2.

Congrats!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Measure from the front of the nosepad to the front corner of the eye. If you come up with anything at or beyond 7 or 7 1/2 inches, you most assuredly have a buck that is 2.5 years of age or more. It is best to use calipers to get this measurement, for accuracy. I say 2.5 on that deer, just by looking at his muzzle. Most (there are exceptions!) 1.5 year old bucks will have an eye to nose measurement of 6 1/4 to 6 3/4 inches. Hope this helps. You do need to take a good accurate measurement though. Just measure in a straight line.

Nice kill. Congrats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.