Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA bowhunters, anyone seeing chasing behavior yet? >

PA bowhunters, anyone seeing chasing behavior yet?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA bowhunters, anyone seeing chasing behavior yet?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Had similar experiences. Urine apparently does not carry any specific scent that alarms deer.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

I too think its too early where I hunt in 4C. I switched to a more mountainous hunting parcel and thought it would start early, but I think around Halloween. That's always when I do the best.

Stay Safe!

KC
Old 10-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion is that the weather has been a little cooler than normal so deer are moving more & in turn showing more "rut" behavior than usual this time of year.

I've not seen any real crazy stuff, but there are a LOT more scrapes this year than I ever seen at this time.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Again I reiterate. Roadkill bucks are popping up everywhere. I commute 65 miles across NJ everyday and see dead buck after buck. Just today 8am, had a six pointer jump across the road in front of me. 8AM!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

Still no chases here, but a few more scrapes appearing. Had a small buck follow my drag rag (first time i used it this year) yesterday and he worked the overhanging branch of my mock scrape that i just made right before climbing into my stand.

From what Im seeing and from past years experience, as long as it doesnt get too warm, next week will be VERY good.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just got back from a couple days at camp with the smoke pole. Things are starting to happen a bit up north.

Monday morning just after first light, I was working my way back a logging road through a clearcut. Just as I got to the edge of the clearcut, I hear a minor ruckus from the head high saplings to my right and heard a grunt. The movement continued for a few minutes till a mature doe poppped out of the brush about 50 yards away.
I waited a minute or two hoping to get a glimpse of the buck but wound up smoking that big ole doe before she disapeared into the greenbriar on the other side. She wasn't in estrous but she showed signs being not far away. Never got to see the buck but sign in the immediate area indicated that a decent one may be around.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen two young bucks killed on the road in the last two days.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Roadkill: Seen 3 mature I 80 NJ, and a slew of immature bucks. Seen a six pointer contemplating suicide overlooking the S-turns in DWG last night.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Crappy forecast calling for rain saturday, but I'll be out, rain or not. Things are strating to get good, and I just can't see missing two saturdays due to weather. Rain should usher in a cold front and make next week really good. Almost go time, boys.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Friday night I had 2 small 1.5 year old bucks (6 & 7) feeding, scraping and sparring in front of me at 30 yards. With them was a 2.5 year old 8 around 100-110" feeding at 60 yards. In comes a doe and they went crazy. Chased her all over the orchard. a 2nd doe came in from the other side and they picked her up as well.

About 10 minutes later, a 2.5 yo 7pt walks by and I decide to try to grunt him in. Didn't plan on shooting but thought, what the heck. He ignored it but from the orchard came a 1.5 8pt and behind him, an absolute monster. I'd guess a 4.5 year old 10/12 point (based on a deer that was seen a week before by the landowner). As soon as I saw the antlers, I stopped looking at them and looked for an opening. He tore up the scrape and then started chasing the 8pt and looking for the buck that was grunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.