Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA GUYS SnOw?? SAT >

PA GUYS SnOw?? SAT

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA GUYS SnOw?? SAT

Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in my climber on a hilltop one year in early November. The day was dark and rainy to begin with, but quiet. I began to hear a rumbling in the distance that sounded like a freight train, and it seemed to be heading my direction. It made no sense at first because it was dead quiet and still where I was. Suddenly, the wind started blowing directly downward out of the sky, and rain pounded me like it was poured out of a bucket. I was going to stick it out when suddenly a lightning bolt crashed about 200 yards from me. I threw my bow to the ground, went down the tree (25 feet)with the climber in about three stretches. Hit the ground, unlocked the climber from the tree, grabbed everything up and ran full bore straight downhill with trees crashing behind me. Several lightning bolts hit the hilltop after my escape but they were still very close to me. It was apparent that a microburst hit my exact location and I probably escaped with my life that day. By the time I got to the lower road...it was done and gone. I picked a spot in the valley, climbed a tree and finished out the day.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mother nature has a way of reminding you just how insignificant we are in the big scheme of things doesnt she?

I had just moved a treestand when a similar quiet fell over the woods. Then everything got very dark and all heck broke loose. I remember trying to walk out through a deep dry creekbottom praying as I went ready to dive under the bank if things got any worse. trees were dropping all around. Then it was over as quick as it came. Three serious trees were newly fallen across the logging road as I walked out. I wasnt as brave as you though. I called it a day!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets just say I didn't climb very high then, and I was listening and watching very intently at the sky more than at the ground. The adrenaline didn't go away for hours.
When I got home, the roof over my back patio was torn off and a big willow in my neighbors yard was uprooted.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Spike

Any of you stump jumpers from PA ever heard of "The October Storm", WNY opening weekend of archery 3yrs ago. If your going to actually get 6-8'' you better prepare for something similar. You won't be walking very far in any woods!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

I hope it pours all day, No snow
Old 10-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, those of us who are participating in this thread without trying to disrupt it realize that you meant the latent heat in the ground and yes, the reasonable folks here agree that any snow accumulation wont last long.

Apparently you till need a lot of help with reading comprehension since this is what he said.

With the warm latent heat in the trees and leaves, there would need to be one hell of a snowstorm to coat the foliage for any amount of time.
Livbucks doesn't even realize that the snow doesn't have to accumulate on the leaves for very long. It would only take a few inches of wet snow to start breaking limbs off trees. Maybe he has never been hit by a falling limb and doesn't know how deadly they can be. I seen many limbs that were embedded in the ground a foot deep in ground that make it difficult to remove them. Even a limb 2 inches in diameter can break bones.

So if you need a deer that bad that you are willing to risk being killed or injured, go ahead and ignore the warnings and have a ball. But we already have one dead hunter from a fall this season and we really don't need anymore.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what is the forecast? I see rain with a chance of snow showers in the North. Hardly this "6 to 8 inches". Sure, if you get an unseasonable snowstorm there will be problems like was mentioned.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just checked the weather for the area around my camp. It calls for a low of 32 and a high of 40 on Saturday. It's a forecast that calls for some preparation perhaps, but certainly not enough to kill the plans for a hunt just yet.

Good luck to all who venture forth!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

The national weather service issued a winter weather advisory for my area here in Monroe County, claiming a possibility of 1-4" of snow by Friday evening, and up in Pike County just north of me my buddy says they're calling for 3-7". Whether we see the white fluffy stuff is a whole different ball game, they're always claiming things just have to wait and see what the whether does. I believe myself I'll be venturing to the southern zone of New York to hunt 8Y in the opener up there, and take care of some tree stands that need attention to this weekend.

Good luck to all who venture out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.