HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   First Day of PA archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/305790-first-day-pa-archery.html)

whitetailhunter10 10-04-2009 09:04 AM

First Day of PA archery

Anybody get any thing on the first day of pa archery season, if so let's see some pics

livbucks 10-04-2009 09:55 AM

I didn't go. I start to get more into it after about the second week.

Grinnin4404 10-04-2009 11:52 AM

totally skunked

absolut40 10-04-2009 01:29 PM

Nothing in the morning or evening

whitetailhunter10 10-04-2009 04:02 PM

me neither I didnt see a thing

bowtruck 10-04-2009 04:03 PM

My son got a doe early morning. Gotta get some pics up when i get a min.

PAHUNTER105 10-04-2009 05:33 PM

Nothing for me in 4C

Screamin Steel 10-05-2009 01:55 AM

Bagged a doe at 9 am saturday in 4D......drove down to 5A for the evening and saw 19 deer...lots of doe at ten yards, saw one decent buck outta range. The Rage two blade is insane, I'm tellin' ya.That deer hit the ground dead in approx. five seconds. Fifty yard recovery. Sorry, no pics this time around, we were working quick to get her skinned and hung so we could get washed up again and hit the road for the evening hunt. Probably won't get out this week...Gotta get ready for steelhead fishin'!!!!!

pats102862 10-05-2009 03:24 AM

I just got a tree stand set up were I want to cull a doe on saturday. I 'am not going to worry about a buck till the end of this month, they are doing most of their movement after dark right now.

bowfly 10-05-2009 06:38 AM

I smoked a large doe at 7:20 in the morning, had one 3 point buck at 15 yards, saw 21 deer total during the day, 15 hen turkey and 1 long beard, two grey fox and too many squirrels.

I am going to put up a much more detailed post this evening, after I am finished here in Philly where I am working for the week. Pictures will be included.

Best of luck to those who are out now!!!

DougE 10-05-2009 07:49 AM

I killed a doe in the morning and another doe in the afternoon.

TheMiz54 10-05-2009 08:16 AM

Lets see some pictures from all these PA guys

bowfly 10-05-2009 02:15 PM

Miz, I posted a story of my opening day doe in this regional section of the forum, as well as the general bowhunting forum too, enjoy, pic included.

tim03b 10-06-2009 07:25 AM

I got her around 6:45P.M.

sorry about the poor picture quality. My mom lost the digital camera that night so i had to use my cell phone.

I double lunged her and she ran about 100 yards, which was shocking to me considering i used rage 3 blade broadheads.

Anyways I wish good luck to the rest of the deer hunters out there this season.

BTBowhunter 10-07-2009 07:02 AM

First PA opener I've missed in a long time. Opened the Illinois season this weekend instead. It was slow as it seemed the deer were holed up tighter than ticks but we managed to take a couple of does.

Gonna try and get out this afternoon for my PA "opener"

Good luck to all and be safe!!!

Cornelius08 10-07-2009 09:01 AM

"Opened the Illinois season this weekend instead."

Gee, imagine that. lmao.

rem700man 10-07-2009 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel (Post 3463625)
Bagged a doe at 9 am saturday in 4D......drove down to 5A for the evening and saw 19 deer...lots of doe at ten yards, saw one decent buck outta range. The Rage two blade is insane, I'm tellin' ya.That deer hit the ground dead in approx. five seconds. Fifty yard recovery. Sorry, no pics this time around, we were working quick to get her skinned and hung so we could get washed up again and hit the road for the evening hunt. Probably won't get out this week...Gotta get ready for steelhead fishin'!!!!!

Screamin Steel:
where do you hunt in 4D? Im just trying to get an idea of what kinda deer your seeing in the area,,,I hunt Real close to the town of Loganton on the clinton/centre co lines,,,im hopin you saw a fair amount of deer,,,im really looking forward to hunting that area this year in rifle season

Lanse couche couche 10-08-2009 08:20 AM

Wow, I thought that Illinois was deer hunting paradise where 30 point bucks are there for the taking on opening weekend. Sounds like BT could have done just as well back in PA. You should still write a strong letter to the Illinois DNR condemning them for ruining deer hunting in Illinois since you didn't kill a big buck.:biggrin:

BTBowhunter 10-08-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche (Post 3467495)
Wow, I thought that Illinois was deer hunting paradise where 30 point bucks are there for the taking on opening weekend. Sounds like BT could have done just as well back in PA. You should still write a strong letter to the Illinois DNR condemning them for ruining deer hunting in Illinois since you didn't kill a big buck.:biggrin:

LOL, maybe I should start another "worst state" poll eh?

Meanwhile back in PA, the deer came in about a half hour before first light this morning. The moon was up and it was kinda neat watching them step into the "spotlights" all around my tree created by the really bright moonlight coming through the holes in the canopy.

Cornelius08 10-08-2009 11:49 AM

Whatsa matter btb, credit card max out or wasnt a guide available to take you by the hand? lol

I also saw some predawn deer the last couple of mornings. Better luck tomorrow hopefully. Not really gonna give a poetic description of little deer dancing in the spotlight moonbeams through the trees though. lol.

"Wow, I thought that Illinois was deer hunting paradise where 30 point bucks are there for the taking on opening weekend."

Donno. Guess thats whether you believe the record books or not. lmao.

Lanse why on earth would btb complain? He left one of the worst whitetail states in the nation to go to one of the best for the first day. Id call that a sensible trade-off, and one i doubt he had to think long and hard about. lmao.

Cornelius08 10-08-2009 12:04 PM

BTW, BTB, someone on another site posted video of your hunting lease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9yhhflmvY

pats102862 10-08-2009 01:24 PM

No whining about not seeing any deer in that camp.

BTBowhunter 10-08-2009 01:33 PM

Lanse why on earth would btb complain? He left one of the worst whitetail states in the nation to go to one of the best for the first day. Id call that a sensible trade-off, and one i doubt he had to think long and hard about. lmao.

LMAOROTF! Well here's a great idea there sport. You can leave Our "worst state" anytime and I'm bettin that PA will get along without ya somehow. Something tells me that your career won't suffer much either. There's probably a McDonalds wherever you go. No point in goin clear to Illinois though. You probably wouldn't like it much. You gotta hunt for those deer out there too.

Cornelius08 10-08-2009 04:05 PM

"LMAOROTF! Well here's a great idea there sport. You can leave Our "worst state" anytime and I'm bettin that PA will get along without ya somehow."

As it would without you or anyone else. I fail to see your point other than a pathetic attempt at being a smartarsed clown. lmfao.

"Something tells me that your career won't suffer much either. There's probably a McDonalds wherever you go."

Lmao, yeah. Mcdonalds. Thats funny coming from a guy whose picture looks like he just stepped straight out of a down-town soup kitchen. And you wonder why everyone calls you a liar??? lmao.

"No point in goin clear to Illinois though. You probably wouldn't like it much. You gotta hunt for those deer out there too."

Yeah. Really hard, or so i hear from all those plunking down 5k for a week of hunting on a deer farm with a babysitter. lmao. Harder on the wallet than anything else. When I do hunt out of state, I like to maintain SOME semblance of "fair chase". Something you certainly are not concerned with. lmao.

Btw, Im not whining about you going to Illinois. If I want to go this year or any other, I will. I dont currently have places in Il. to hunt and I dont pay big bucks to be taken by the hand. I do have decent places in Ohio to hunt, have hunted there and will in the future as well. My point was that you were pizzing and moaning about the complaints about pa from others and said how great we have it here.... "excellent". A GREAT state, or so you tell it. Lmao. Yet you traveled several hundred miles to hunt elsewhere for the opener! Im not the one talking out of both ends. L-M-M-F-A-O!!

BTBowhunter 10-08-2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cornelius08 (Post 3467955)
"LMAOROTF! Well here's a great idea there sport. You can leave Our "worst state" anytime and I'm bettin that PA will get along without ya somehow."

As it would without you or anyone else. I fail to see your point other than a pathetic attempt at being a smartarsed clown. lmfao.

"Something tells me that your career won't suffer much either. There's probably a McDonalds wherever you go."

Lmao, yeah. Mcdonalds. Thats funny coming from a guy whose picture looks like he just stepped straight out of a down-town soup kitchen. And you wonder why everyone calls you a liar??? lmao.

"No point in goin clear to Illinois though. You probably wouldn't like it much. You gotta hunt for those deer out there too."

Yeah. Really hard, or so i hear. lmao. Harder on the wallet than anything else. When I do hunt out of state, I like to maintain SOME semblance of "fair chase". Something you certainly are not concerned with. lmao.

Btw, Im not whining about you going to Illinois. If I want to go this year or any other, I will. I dont currently have places in Il. to hunt and I dont pay big bucks to be taken by the hand. I do have decent places in Ohio to hunt, have hunted there and will in the future as well. My point was that you were pizzing and moaning about the complaints about pa from others and said how great we have it here.... "excellent". A GREAT state, or so you tell it. Lmao. Yet you traveled several hundred miles to hunt elsewhere for the opener! Im not the one talking out of both ends. L-M-M-F-A-O!!

As usual, you rant on and yell with authority about things of which you have no clue. There is very good hunting in many states. I happen to have the opportunity to hunt in three of them.
Those opportnities came as the result of dedication, work, a bit of old fashioned ingenuity, and a little luck as well. All concepts you obviously express little evidence of understanding. (except maybe the luck part LOL)

I can understand why you cant accept that others can be successful without the shortcut of laying out big $$ because it's quite likely that any other way would be impossible for you. So you see, you are mistaken but it's easy for the rest of us to understand why you would make that mistake because you simply are incapable imagining any other way.

I apologize to the others in this thread for my part in hijacking this thread by responding to this uninformed fool once again. Any other post I make to this thread will be in keeping with the original thread theme.

hatchet jack 10-08-2009 08:11 PM

I'm hunting Illinois this year! What kind of person does that make me. I hope not like that no good liar,creep, state jumping, hold him by the hand,shoot MONSTER BUCKS in a pen BTBowhunter. If so maybe I will stay in PA where there are no DEER and just dream of MON$TER Illinoi$ Bucks that are behind every tree! I hope not, I have to much $$$ down on this BOWHUNTING VACATION!!!!

Hatchet Jack

razorrat 10-08-2009 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter (Post 3466146)
First PA opener I've missed in a long time. Opened the Illinois season this weekend instead. It was slow as it seemed the deer were holed up tighter than ticks but we managed to take a couple of does.

Gonna try and get out this afternoon for my PA "opener"

Good luck to all and be safe!!!

So you found out that the deer hunter games and real hunting world are not the same. It's easy to bag trophy deer on that video game.
But you can see when you go there it is not the same.

hatchet jack 10-09-2009 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by razorrat (Post 3468298)
So you found out that the deer hunter games and real hunting world are not the same. It's easy to bag trophy deer on that video game.

WOW!!!??????????

Hatchet Jack

Screamin Steel 10-09-2009 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by rem700man (Post 3466647)
Screamin Steel:
where do you hunt in 4D? Im just trying to get an idea of what kinda deer your seeing in the area,,,I hunt Real close to the town of Loganton on the clinton/centre co lines,,,im hopin you saw a fair amount of deer,,,im really looking forward to hunting that area this year in rifle season

Further south.....I hate to say where....I'm afraid the slaughter will start all over again if I get too specific. The locals have cut back on the doe hunting there for a few years and now you are starting to see the deer spreading out again like the spokes on a wheel...even the public land nearby they are coming back, albiet slowly. If you are polite, you might get access to some farms in southern centre/ northern huntingdon and find decent deer hunting. Some parts of the SF can be good if you know where to look. Drop me a PM and I'll get more specific.

pats102862 10-09-2009 04:20 AM

Brilliant observation

blkpowder 10-09-2009 04:42 AM

Thank you, we're all challenged by your unique point of view.

BTBowhunter 10-09-2009 06:57 AM

What part of Illinois are you hunting Jack?
When will you be out there? I'm hoping to head back around the 25-26th

Looks like tomorrow ought to be a great day in Penns Woods. My youngest son is starting his eagle scout community service project tomorrow so I wont be able to get out and hunt but I'll be thinking of all you guys who will.

Good luck to all and be safe!

Cornelius08 10-09-2009 07:22 AM

"I'm hunting Illinois this year! What kind of person does that make me. I hope not like that no good liar,creep, state jumping, hold him by the hand,shoot MONSTER BUCKS in a pen BTBowhunter. If so maybe I will stay in PA where there are no DEER and just dream of MON$TER Illinoi$ Bucks that are behind every tree! I hope not, I have to much $$$ down on this BOWHUNTING VACATION!!!!"

No problems hatchet. Nothing at all wrong with going after incredible quality animals the likes of which this state will never see. Only problem i see is when some only have success via that route, spending the opener & most of the rut "elsewhere" when supposedly Pa is supposed to be the best since sliced cheese! lmao. Funny part is when they act as if they are Daniel Boone reincarnated. Then actually have the gall to tell others who arent successful AND those who are successful without all the "help" and unnatural conditions involved...that they dont know how to hunt! lmao. Does that sound like you? I dont think so? But i dont think we would need to look very far...:poke:

Screamin Steel 10-09-2009 07:29 AM

Someday a midwest hunt would be a neat thing to do...but I think I'd opt for Buffalo county WI...Top P&Y county in the nation.Just don't think PA will ever get to the status of these other states...even if they QDM'ed every inch of it. In PA a 15" 2 1/2 year old eight point will always be a shooter. Of course....nuthin wrong with that. :deer::fighting0007:

Screamin Steel 10-09-2009 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter (Post 3468564)
What part of Illinois are you hunting Jack?
When will you be out there? I'm hoping to head back around the 25-26th

Looks like tomorrow ought to be a great day in Penns Woods. My youngest son is starting his eagle scout community service project tomorrow so I wont be able to get out and hunt but I'll be thinking of all you guys who will.

Good luck to all and be safe!

Congrats to the son, from a fellow Eagle and Scoutmaster....We need more like him, and that is a huge accomplishment for a young man.

BTBowhunter 10-09-2009 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel (Post 3468611)
Congrats to the son, from a fellow Eagle and Scoutmaster....We need more like him, and that is a huge accomplishment for a young man.

Thanks Steel! I'll convey the thoughts. He will be my second son to attain eagle. Time spent on your kids is time well spent anytime and this will be one of the few times I dont mind missing a nice day in the treetsand.

BTBowhunter 10-09-2009 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel (Post 3468609)
Someday a midwest hunt would be a neat thing to do...but I think I'd opt for Buffalo county WI...Top P&Y county in the nation.Just don't think PA will ever get to the status of these other states...even if they QDM'ed every inch of it. In PA a 15" 2 1/2 year old eight point will always be a shooter. Of course....nuthin wrong with that. :deer::fighting0007:

I agree 100%. PA is not likely to ever be in the category of WI, IL, IA, OH or some others. Our sheer numbers of hunters prevent that. Your description of what constitutes a darn good shooter in PA is realistic for anyone other than, perhaps, the real fanatic trophy seeker. I think we don't have to look too far back though to remember a time when a "shooter" was the first 3 inch unicorn in many areas. I sincerely dont think many PA hunters miss that.

Things aint anywhere near close to being the best we can be but It seems we're hearing more and more talk of the hunters themselves actually taking their own initiative in managing the areas they hunt. Thats a change for the better. In the three Illinois counties I've hunted, that's the way it's been for a while and the quality shows.

bluebird2 10-09-2009 08:32 AM

I think we don't have to look too far back though to remember a time when a "shooter" was the first 3 inch unicorn in many areas. I sincerely dont think many PA hunters miss that.
A 3" spike is still a shooter for juniors and active military and may I remind you that PA hunters harvested 52K 2.5+ buck in 2002, even though not one of those buck were the result of ARs. Furthermore , ARs only produced a harvest of 48K 2.5+ buck in 2007 and 58.5 K in 2008, so ARs have not resulted in a significant increase in the number of 2.5 + buck harvested. Remember,also that over 50% of the 2.5+ buck harvested had less than 8 pts. and at least 20 % of the the 2.5+ buck weren't AR legal.

blkpowder 10-09-2009 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter (Post 3468625)
Time spent on your kids is time well spent anytime and this will be one of the few times I dont mind missing a nice day in the treetsand.

Mothers, touch your children,
Fathers, hug them tight,
Let them know you love them
morning, noon, and night.

Roll around the floor with them,
tease and laugh and play,
Listen to what they'll tell you,
they have so much to say.

Take time to get to know them,
see the colors in their eyes,
Appreciate that person
that deep inside them lies.

Take a walk into the park,
hold each other's hand,
Smell the flowers, feed the ducks,
build castles in the sand.

Mothers, touch your children,
Fathers, hug them tight,
Show them what a gift they are,
to love them feels so right.

ManySpurs 10-09-2009 08:54 AM

I promised myself I wasn't gonna visit this forum until December.:action-smiley-099:

But it's raining, so why not? Been a little on the slow side here in Tioga County. Seen a few(very few) does this week, along with a legal averaged size buck that I left walk because to be honest about it, I didn't feel like gutting him, dragging him out, and cutting him up. That's a first for me.

Grandkid will be here soon. I reckon he can help with the dirty work when I take him out hunting.:p Good luck to all and a CONGRATS to all you hunters that scored.

As for all you able bodied crossbow hunters, I hope your scopes all fog up.:hit: