HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   First Day of PA archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/305790-first-day-pa-archery.html)

Cornelius08 10-12-2009 07:07 AM

"Even though a Tom cat has everything he needs, he still yearns to roam and see what is on the other side."

Not a very good analogy considering the "tomcat" we were speaking of, already knows what is on the "other side" and chooses that other side consistantly at every opportunity over "this side". lol, yet previously insisted that this side is the best thing since sliced cheese.

sproulman 10-12-2009 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by livbucks (Post 3470544)
Went out for the first time on (the second) Saturday. Had a nice 8 point under my tree at 8:30 AM. Spread was almost as wide as his ears, real yellow antlers, G2's were about 6 or 7 inches. I picked up the bow and thought about taking him because he startled me and I got excited. I passed on him but it would have been a difficult shot anyway as he came from behind and stood at the base of my tree and then left behind me. He was a nice 2.5 year old specimen. He was the only deer I saw that day in the high density WMU 2B.

now there is sportsman.:deer:i had same experience.hunted for 6 weeks and saw only a few doe under my stand THEN 2 days before end of archery a nice 8 point came in.he was at 33 and 1/2 yards:rolleye0011: and it was 15 minutes before dark.rain was to happen at 7 pm .i only had shot from top of back up the neck.that buck stood there for 5 minutes,he got wind of me and then turned and slowly walked away.
my brother said,SPROUL SHOOT EVERYONE ELSE DOES ,JUST SHOOT.:hit:just because others take bad shot and dont worry about RAIN or wounding a great animal that we hunt , does not mean i am like them.meat is driving a lot of hunters now and they are becoming lousy hunters .sadly most i know never were like this until the HR got them all nutty.

BTBowhunter 10-12-2009 07:12 AM

PA bow season Week 2

What a perfect morning to be in the woods!
Dodged deer along the road all the way to my spot and then watched the squirrels for three and a half hours.
No deer this morning but a great morning never the less.

Maybe this afternoon........

Cornelius08 10-12-2009 07:16 AM

One doe seen this morning. So far between three of us, one buck sighted and only a few doe after nearly a week of mornings hunted and one afternoon. So much for the more and bigger buck.....

THANK YOU GARY ALT! lmao.

Cornelius08 10-12-2009 07:24 AM

"meat is driving a lot of hunters now and they are becoming lousy hunters .sadly most i know never were like this until the HR got them all nutty"
Amen brother. More "greed" these days than any time in modern history of Pa thanks to excessive ridiculous ecoextremist driven herd reduction.

sproulman 10-12-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cornelius08 (Post 3470792)
One doe seen this morning. So far between three of us, one buck sighted and only a few doe after nearly a week of mornings hunted and one afternoon. So much for the more and bigger buck.....

THANK YOU GARY ALT! lmao.

morning hunts are fairly hard until it gets cooler and deer will stay out longer.try hunting around 11am.deer are eating around this time ,we are seeing or reports of more deer sighted at noon than at 7 am RIGHT NOW.bucks are not out too much at all in mornings .they are staying put until dark.this is why i dont spend much time until last 2 weeks in my stand.i do more scouting even tho i know where the buck is bedded etc.

but i very seldom see a nice buck out and about at this time in SFL that does not have apple trees.they stay put until dark and if hunting pressure is in area you can bet that will happen.that early muzzleloader week really screws up archery hunting for a 2.5 year old buck,they just will not take pressure .that week should be done away with it.pgc has deer reduced in WMU2G ,not necessary to kill of what doe are left and ruin the archery season for buck hunting.
this is going to be a VERY hard season in big woods OF WMU2G like clinton/potter counties.the feed is real good this year and you cant pattern the deer.they are not on pipelines,this is where most of doe hunters got them last year.well, good luck, it aint happening this year.

road hunting has tripled this year do to deer not feeding on pipelines and crossbows.its more do to lack of sightings of deer on pipelines than crossbows,you just have to cover territory here in clinton county to see a deer.most dont have time to put up treestand and hope a deer comes by.then throw in the hunters stinking things up and lack of sighting on pipelines, its hard and it takes a lot of time and you have to be hunter to be able to not stink up area.
when there is lack of food the deer are not so scared to go out in open on pipelines to eat.if there is food in woods,they can eat here today go 500 yds and eat there next day if spooked.they dont have to come to 1 spot each day like last year and get shot at by early muzzleloader hunters.
i talked enough most likely BORING some on here.:party0005:

BTBowhunter 10-12-2009 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by DougE (Post 3470712)
I killed another one this past saturday.

Congrats again Doug!!!!:barmy:

I'm headed back out there in about 15 minutes......

PAThwacker 10-12-2009 11:30 AM

I was out on Saturday 10/10: Hauled in the climber treestand, set it up, and returned to the truck for bow, pack, and gear. Hiked back to stand, got ready to climb and realized no hoist strings. Bailed, locked it to the tree, and groundhunted. I saw 2 doe booking towards me at full tilt at 10am. The wind was howling, and they coudn't hear my bleat can over the trees. 2:30 back in.....hiked to the stand, got ready, went to unlock: NO KEYS!!!!
Groundhunting again: Saw one doe 45 yards to the SW, gracefully browsing, but again the ruckus in the treetops was effective in silencing my bleat can.

DougE 10-12-2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter (Post 3470981)
Congrats again Doug!!!!:barmy:

I'm headed back out there in about 15 minutes......

Thanks.I had a cool day on saturday.I didn't see anything in the morning but I had to climb down by 9:00am to catch my son's soccer game.I headed out to a new spot around 3:00 and decided to call alittle just before 4:00.I grunted real soft a couple of times and then hit the can twice.Within a minute,a big mature doe came strait in and stopped at 37 yards.I didn't like the angle and knew she'd get close.She came a little closer and I put a slick trick through her just as she turned broadside.She bolted the way she came and tipped over about 40 yards away.I got down,tagged her and climbed back up.About an hour later I used the same calling sequence and had another doe come strait in from infront of me.She hung around for at least another 20 minutes,sometimes as close as 5 yards.A little while later,I heard something coming from the direction where the first doe came.It wasn't the shuffling sound that squireels make so I focused on that spot.Soon a small flock of gobblers walked by just out of would be bow range.I turned to my right and caught a nice buck moving in front of me from left to right.He was within bow range but behind a bunch of grape vines.I thought for sure he was gonna hit one of my shooting lanes but he ended up keeping cover between us the whole time.As soon as he got out of sight,I grunted to him and hit the can.Almost immediately another doe,that I didn't see,came crashing in from about 40 yards away and stood right under my stand.It was a great afternoon to be in the woods with all kinds of excitement.I'll let that spot cool off for about a week and hit it again when the wind it right.

cardeeer 10-12-2009 01:31 PM

Forgot all about the season. Usually I see cars parked around , but didnt see any this year to remind me the season opened.I was in WV anyway grooming my heard of 70 deer. Not hunting just watching. I will take one buck later in WV rifle season. Dont want to be a hog. I am disabled and have not got my WV X-bow permit yet. That 1800 dollar x-bow will pobably rot in the corner never use it again.. certainly boring hunting in Pa compared to WV anyway. I did not even buy a Pa license this year. I will let all of you slaughter the doe,and according to the this report anyway ,thats what seems to be happening again. Pa hunters need something to complain about. Hammer the doe Whopee.