Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Rage 2 Blade Broadheads in NY?? >

Rage 2 Blade Broadheads in NY??

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rage 2 Blade Broadheads in NY??

Old 09-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

At least up until last year 2 blades are leagal nad are definitely still legal, 3 blades were not (although I don't see the big difference) I heard that someone talke to DEC and while they were very vague they did not say they were illegal. I shoot 2 blades and based on performance don't think there is any reason to shoot the 3's, the 2' are lethal, MIZ54, I recommend them highly
Old 09-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I think they both may be illegal in NYS, unless they collapse when pulled out.

"Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear."

Last edited by mlo31351270; 09-30-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mlo31351270
I think they both may be illegal in NYS, unless they collapse when pulled out.

"Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear."
they do collapse when pulled out.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

this was brought up last year and there was a link to dec stating that Rage 3 blade are illegal and the two blade was legal the three blade locks open making a barbed broadhead where the two blade will retract
Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Spike

There is no official ruling on the rage 3 blades. Searched the DEC website also.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Found this on the website:

For the purposes of the fish and Wildlife Law and this title a barbed broadhead shall be any arrowhead with a protrusion forming a hook, notch or backward point which impedes withdrawal of an arrow when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of an animal. The physical measurement which determines if a blade or other protuberance is barbed is the angle of the rear edge of the protuberance in relation to the arrow shaft or the forward projection of the arrow shaft. If the real edge of the protuberance is perpendicular to the shaft, or angles forward as it progresses outward from the shaft, then the protuberance is not barbed. If any part of the rear edge of the protuberance angles toward the rear as it progresses outward from the shaft, then the broadhead is a barbed broadhead. Notwithstanding the above definition, a protuberance which appears to form a barb, but freely swings forward to a non-barbed position upon withdrawal of the arrow shall not be considered a barb; and a notch at the base of a blade extending no more than two millimeters from the shaft shall not be considered
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Had this conversation with a dec officer and she said 2 blades good 3 blades bad.... don't know how most handle it but ... as for me ,the officer wins if he is writing the ticket and then its guilty till proven innocent and oh yea ignorance of the law doesn't make it legal... you will lose that bet.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

have no idea of law as not from ny but can tell you that rage 2 blade is awesome this is my first season with a bow period so dont have any thing to compare to but have so far taken a 208 lb buck a nd two big does with the two blad rage had pass though on both does ,,,,, What a hole both died within 20 yards of 2o yard shot, blood trail, no more like highway could see it from the treestand. if two are legal and three arent dont hesitate to use the two blade you wont be desappointed

Last edited by baileym62; 10-12-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Typical NY BS.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

In NY the 2 blade is legal and the 3 blade not. I talked to the DEC about this last year for confirmation. I also posted an email answered by the DEC addressing this. It is due to the way the blades retract.